Image Map Image Map

Thread: Help me please to find my fist 80286 Desktop.

Default Help me please to find my first 80286 (maybe 80386) Desktop.

Hey community,

it was in 1995 when I got my first touch to PC technology. It was in our school and I learned my first DOS commands on it. No this school doesn't exist anymore and I really would like to find this Desktop PC again.

Bildschirmfoto 2013-11-25 um 23.15.22.jpg

I created this Picture from my mind and hope that some of you guys could help me to find this old piece of technology again.

What I remember from the technic is that its was a 80286 CPU with 16Mhz and Turbo to 25Mhz. It had a big red Power Switch on the right side and it was loaded with DOS and Win3.1
    The most notable thing for me was the 7 segment display what shows the CPU clock speed. it was black with green lights.

Maybe some of you has an idea what brand and (or) model this could be.

Kindly,

Robin
    Last edited by Ginger_Fish; November 25th, 2013 at 03:07 PM.

Blog Entries

80286 and Win 3.1? While possible, that wouldn't be a particularly useful combination as 32-bit mode wouldn't be available.

The speeds tell me that this was more likely an 80386.

Thank you for your answer.

Ok, maybe it could be a 386 as well.

I found a Picture with a 286 and a 7 Segment Display.

Bildschirmfoto 2013-11-26 um 00.52.26.jpg

mine had the same display, but was not that high. on the right was a big red Power flip switch.

​Thanks for your ideas

If it had no Brand Name on it, it kinda sounds like a 286 or 386 Clone. Probably a generic case and internals. I remember many of the cases with the 16/25/33/66 Mhz display were mass produced. You could change it to whatever you wanted by moving the jumpers around on the display board.
    Stuck in the PS/2 80's !

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger_Fish View Post
    Ha, that wat the case my 386 came in that I bought november 1991.
    It's a clone case allright the bill just states 'LED AT Case' (139 German DM )

Was the case low profile, as it suggests from your first drawing?
    I think the LED displays weren't mostly on the brand PC's.
    “Thus, we see that one of the obvious origins of human disagreement lies in the use of noises for words.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hal9000 View Post
    If it had no Brand Name on it, it kinda sounds like a 286 or 386 Clone. Probably a generic case and internals. I remember many of the cases with the 16/25/33/66 Mhz display were mass produced. You could change it to whatever you wanted by moving the jumpers around on the display board.
    My first 486 clone was a minitower with a LED display and the fun thing was you could hold "RESET" to get it counting to the speed you wanted it to show in both normal and turbo mode. So you'd set the system in "normal", check what the CPU speed was with CheckIt for example and then hold reset until the display reached that number... then put it in turbo mode and do the same for that No fussing around with jumpers on the back. It was a beautiful minitower with diamond shaped buttons and the display behind a black plexiglass cover in the lower right corner of the case... man I hope I can find one of those cases again some time.
    Oh man, this isn't happening... it only thinks it's happening. - Kevin Flynn

Ok, maybe it could be a 386 as well.

Bildschirmfoto 2013-11-26 um 00.52.26.jpg

mine had the same display, but was not that high. on the right was a big red Power flip switch.

​Thanks for your ideas
    This isn't the PC I looking for. I just show it because it has the same 7 segment display.

Are you in the USA? Because most of us are unfamiliar with the brands and models of PC clones sold in Europe or elsewhere, if that's where you are.

And did it truly have 3.5" drive bays, or did it use a 3.5" drive mounted within a 5.25" bay?

Blog Entries

I created this Picture from my mind and hope that some of you guys could help me to find this old piece of technology again.
    Unfortunately what you pictured could be any number of 386 clones made in the early 1990s. There's not enough information to narrow it down, sorry.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    Are you in the USA? Because most of us are unfamiliar with the brands and models of PC clones sold in Europe or elsewhere, if that's where you are.
    Im form east germany and to see a PC in 1994, just some years after the GDR, was amazing. we had 9 of this machines some with 3,5" floppy and I think 2 had 5,25" as well.