Image Map Image Map

Thread: idt WinChip C6PSME200GA

Blog Entries

Default idt WinChip C6PSME200GA

Attachment 16648I pulled an idt WinChip C6PSME200GA out of the Digital socket 7 oem system which went into the trash. I tossed it in the only good socket 7 mobo that come from the same haul,l replacing the P166mmx cpu. I found it funny that it is reported as a 486DX2/66. The fan heat sink was held on with a double sides adhesive tape, which had seperated from the cpu, with the cables from the fan. One of one of which is broken away which is no is easily fixed. are soldered onto a of circuit board getting its power from pins on the cpu itself.

This is the first time I've actually come across one. After a bit of interwebbing it would seem these are down at the bottem of the list performance wise.

Looking at the sticker on the fan it looks like this combo was marketed as a HYPERTEC MxPro200

Attachment 16646
    Last edited by Caluser2000; January 1st, 2014 at 07:07 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

The WinChips were cheap and fit Socket 7, which briefly fit a market slot. When Pentium prices came down and competition increased, there really was no reason for them.

The idea of a tiny low-power RISC core survived well into VIA's C3 and C7 chipsets and later.

(P.S. Focus, please!)

Blog Entries

It looks like this particular package was intended/marketed to upgrade earlier socket 7 P1 non mmx systems by HYPERTEC as the HypeRace MxPro 200- product list pdf shows the p/n as HYCEV03200 R3.16
    Last edited by Caluser2000; January 1st, 2014 at 08:10 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Yeah it's an Evergreen MxPro 200. Overdrive kit to take a Pentium 75 to 200 MHz.

http://station1.highcliffe.dorset.sc...s/MXPROP~1.PDF

Blog Entries

Thanks for pdf link Plasma. Looks like there was just a sticker change I see it supports socket 5 systems as well which is nice to know.

Anyone have a image of the disk that shipped with these at all?
    Last edited by Caluser2000; January 1st, 2014 at 05:18 PM.

16-Bit wise they're actually very close to a Pentium in my experience though internally they resemble a 486 having only a single pipeline. Funny that Chuch(G) should mention the VIA C3 because this is it's spiritual ancestor, due to some marketing whatnot Via's Cyrix III was actuall running a core designed by the IDT/Centaur team for the most part.

The WinChip will suffer in 32-Bit and FPU intensive applications however.
    Last edited by High_Treason; January 1st, 2014 at 05:54 PM.
    YouTube (Mostly DOS Stuff) | Let's Plays (Mostly DOS Games) | Twitch.TV | Duke4.net
    DOSBox sucks, my Casio is better than your Roland and my clone is better than your overblown proprietary box.

Blog Entries

Found a nice reveiw from the preriod- http://www.reocities.com/sjg/evergreen/mxpro.html
    My Presario 5522 could well be a prime candidate for it.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; January 1st, 2014 at 06:25 PM.