Image Map Image Map
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: KAYPRO and KayFreHD as a hard disk module

I'm not the least familiar with the KayPlus ROM, but there are at least two different harddisk layouts (high level formatting) used by Kaypro ROMS, and they are not compatible. I'm not sure I have a detailed scenario where that could cause the symptoms you see, but it may be that the KayPlus ROM does not use the same layout and thus requires that you format when switching ROMs. The Kaypro 10 ROM I used was 81-302, which has a totally incompatible harddisk layout compared to the 81-478 "Universal" ROM. It may not be possible to format the harddisk under the Kaypro ROM and use it on the KayPlus ROM (without reformatting).

Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    I decided to try to get the Kayplus ROM working on my 10/83 with the SWP CO-POWER II board. I burned a 2764 EPROM and installed it in the 10/83 with the mods noted in the Kayplus manual. The Kaypro starts up and I can boot from floppy.

I had errors when I tried to format HD 1. I copied hard4-1 to hard4-0 and then tried again and it could see both drives and allowed me to format and verify both.

What I'm running into now is when I boot from floppy I can't access the hard drives. If I do a "DIR B:" the FreHD LED flashes but I get a BDOS error. I get a BDOS error and the FreHD LED doesn't flash.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

I had the FreHD working just fine with the original 10/83 ROM. If I can't get this working then I'll try the TurboROM but I liked the idea of the RAMdisk in the SWP board working automatically with the Kayplus ROM.
    Alphasite, the thread has on a bunch of different postings stating you need to use the Advent ROm, not the kayplus Rom. The kayplus Rom isnt supported at the present time.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Alphasite, the thread has on a bunch of different postings stating you need to use the Advent ROm, not the kayplus Rom. The kayplus Rom isnt supported at the present time.
    I asked about it earlier. See jaquinn's response in post #107. With the Kayplus ROM it should be able to see the FreHD and install to it. Since the Kayplus has a much larger set of supported features I thought I'd load it up and see if I could figure out what was causing the issues with running some programs with the Kayplus ROM installed.

Well then I wish you luck and maybe we can get to the bottom of it for future support.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Well then I wish you luck and maybe we can get to the bottom of it for future support.
    I hope so.

OK, I'm in. I want this too. After pulling apart two K10s that had failed hard disk drives, and having no luck with Low Level Formats, etc. it's time for the FreHD. I'm a bit late to the party here, but I've just received my 2nd FreHD (first one is on my TRS-80 M4) and I've ordered that Kaypro board which I should have in the next week. I hear the next step is to get the disk images to boot from for the FreHD? Is there anything further I should be considering here? These are original K10s that I have - no ROM upgrades etc. Appreciate any tips & suggestions here.
    ------------------------------
    TRS-80 Model 1, 2, 3, 4, 16. Apple II+, IIe, IIc, IIgs, Kaypro 2, 4, 4+, 10. Next Workstation, Mac (all from 128K up to latest), IBM 5150, 5151, AT. C64, C16, C128, C128D, Amiga. Forgiving wife and no storage space.
    Visit my eBay store with hundreds of Vintage Computer Items.... Myles' Vintage Computers
    Follow me on Twitter.... @mylesw

Quote Originally Posted by k0d3g3ar View Post
    OK, I'm in. I want this too. After pulling apart two K10s that had failed hard disk drives, and having no luck with Low Level Formats, etc. it's time for the FreHD. I'm a bit late to the party here, but I've just received my 2nd FreHD (first one is on my TRS-80 M4) and I've ordered that Kaypro board which I should have in the next week. I hear the next step is to get the disk images to boot from for the FreHD? Is there anything further I should be considering here? These are original K10s that I have - no ROM upgrades etc. Appreciate any tips & suggestions here.
    When I did the FreHD in my Kaypro I used a Turbo ROM. But I just put my original stock 81-302 ROM back in and it started right up. So your original ROM should be fine. You just won't get any of the extra capabilities that come with the Advent Turbo ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by djones1960 View Post
    When I did the FreHD in my Kaypro I used a Turbo ROM. But I just put my original stock 81-302 ROM back in and it started right up. So your original ROM should be fine. You just won't get any of the extra capabilities that come with the Advent Turbo ROM.
    Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I'm fine with stock ROM on this. I'm just looking to revitalize this old beast so I can use it for a book authoring project in Perfect Writer that I plan on doing. I just need something a bit more reliable than a 35+ yr old hard drive to store the files (and yes, of course I'll have backups )

I got the FreHD from Ian Mavrick and got the boards in from OSH. Do you know where there is a parts list for the components for the board? How did you go about building that yourself?

K
    ------------------------------
    TRS-80 Model 1, 2, 3, 4, 16. Apple II+, IIe, IIc, IIgs, Kaypro 2, 4, 4+, 10. Next Workstation, Mac (all from 128K up to latest), IBM 5150, 5151, AT. C64, C16, C128, C128D, Amiga. Forgiving wife and no storage space.
    Visit my eBay store with hundreds of Vintage Computer Items.... Myles' Vintage Computers
    Follow me on Twitter.... @mylesw

The IC is a 74ls00, capacitors are .1uf and the resistor is 1k.