Image Map Image Map
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 219

Thread: KAYPRO and KayFreHD as a hard disk module

  1. #131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wowbobwow View Post
    So I'm very late to this thread, but I recently picked up a "Kaypro 4" which seems to actually have a Kaypro 10 motherboard inside (it says "Kaypro 10" onscreen during boot, and the pins at J9 on the motherboard are fully populated but not connected to anything). Is there anyone selling these KayFreHD boards anymore? I'd love to add some solid state storage to my new luggable!
    I just ordered some board from OshPark and the chips and build up my own. The only tricky part is programing the chips. So might be easier to get a kit below.
    https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/ocyrewRG
    https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/8UOxQcmf

    Has the FreHD boards and kits but need to use the Kaypro adapter board to make it work
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~ianmav/trs80/emulator.htm

  2. #132

    Default

    It seems this thread has been necro'd again.

    After building a FreHD for my Model 4P, a Kaypro 2X came my way. Since I have some spare FreHD boards I thought I'd pop one in the Kaypro. My 2X motherboard has the 50 pin connector populated but is missing the components for the real time clock and the modem. I've ordered some of Geneb's adapter PCBs from OSHPARK and sourced some 2764's.

    I've read the thread, but parts of it are confusing and so I have a couple of questions.

    1) I see that Geneb's adaptor board has a power input. Does this need to be connected in addition to the power connection on the FreHD board or does the adaptor power the FreHD directly?

    2) where the issues with the Kayplus boot ROM ever resolved or is the Advent ROM still the best option? If a 3rd party ROM is used does this require the use of different utilities for example to format a floppy disk?

    3) How is the initial disc image built on the SD card? For the TRS-80 card images were already created and to make a new "HD" you just needed to copy an old one. How do you build that first image?

    Thanks

    Fletch

  3. #133
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djones1960 View Post
    I just ordered some board from OshPark and the chips and build up my own. The only tricky part is programing the chips. So might be easier to get a kit below.
    https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/ocyrewRG
    https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/8UOxQcmf

    Has the FreHD boards and kits but need to use the Kaypro adapter board to make it work
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~ianmav/trs80/emulator.htm
    The URL provided for Ian Mavric does not respond. Anyone have a working link?

  4. #134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shirsch View Post
    The URL provided for Ian Mavric does not respond. Anyone have a working link?
    I checked and it seems to be back up.

  5. #135
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,079

    Default

    Has anyone made documentation explaining the process of adding the FReHD to the kaypro, or at least instructions for the software portion?

  6. #136
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    I checked and it seems to be back up.
    I get no response from this URL - just times out:

    http://members.iinet.net.au/~ianmav/trs80/emulator.htm

  7. #137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shirsch View Post
    I get no response from this URL - just times out:

    http://members.iinet.net.au/~ianmav/trs80/emulator.htm
    I checked again and I'm able to see the page, but I think there was an issue where one of the ISPs in the US having issues connecting to Mav's site. What is your ISP?

  8. #138
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    I checked again and I'm able to see the page, but I think there was an issue where one of the ISPs in the US having issues connecting to Mav's site. What is your ISP?
    burlingtontelecom.com

    It's a rather small municipal fiber-to-premises ISP.

    Update: For whatever reason, it's now working! Thanks.

  9. #139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    It seems this thread has been necro'd again.

    After building a FreHD for my Model 4P, a Kaypro 2X came my way. Since I have some spare FreHD boards I thought I'd pop one in the Kaypro. My 2X motherboard has the 50 pin connector populated but is missing the components for the real time clock and the modem. I've ordered some of Geneb's adapter PCBs from OSHPARK and sourced some 2764's.

    I've read the thread, but parts of it are confusing and so I have a couple of questions.

    1) I see that Geneb's adaptor board has a power input. Does this need to be connected in addition to the power connection on the FreHD board or does the adaptor power the FreHD directly?

    2) where the issues with the Kayplus boot ROM ever resolved or is the Advent ROM still the best option? If a 3rd party ROM is used does this require the use of different utilities for example to format a floppy disk?

    3) How is the initial disc image built on the SD card? For the TRS-80 card images were already created and to make a new "HD" you just needed to copy an old one. How do you build that first image?

    Thanks

    Fletch
    * I didn't power the adapter board.
    * Used the Advent ROM in mine
    * If I remember right. I used WinDD or something similar to to write a TRS-80 hard drive image to the SD card. Then I used the Kaypro boot disk to reformat it and load the software I wanted.

  10. #140
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Years back I downloaded a bunch of information that involved a GAL change on the FreHD to change port address and a fairly complex piggyback adapter for the Kaypro. Is this GAL change required with the smaller board from OSH Park that's linked from this thread?

    Can someone _please_ take a few minutes and explain the broad outlines of how a stock FreHD (from Ian Mavric) is used with a K10?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •