Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NE2000 Packet drivers for 8-bit slots

Old thread, but, confirmed working on Novell/Anthem/Eagle NE2000T cards, ASSY # 810-000220-001. I think I have something going on with my test bench power supply -- works fine in the IBM 5160 PC/XT but had some stability issues in a 386DX-40 motherboard with an 8-bit slot.

As long as this thread has already been necromancer-ed I'll throw in that the driver seems to work for me on an RTL8019AS card. I've seen a few stability issues with an error-prone network upstream (long story) but I'm not sure if that's the fault of the packet driver. It seems to work great with the mTCP suite on a clean network.

The reason I'm using this driver instead of the factory PNP driver for the RTL card is the factory driver has an annoying bug that prevents you from using the card on IRQ2 in an XT. (If the card is configured for IRQ2, which is the same physical slot pin as IRQ9, the driver errors out and tells you you can't use IRQ9 despite correctly identifying it's in an 8-bit slot in an XT class machine.)
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Actually thanks for bumping this old thread. I just tried it on a Tandy PLUS NIC I had made a couple years ago I never could get working. It works like a champ with this driver. It's a 2 chip solution with a AX88796B MAC, a 16v8 for address decode and interrupt routing, and a RJ45 jack with built-in magnetics. Going to test a few more things out tonight and hopefully post all the design files later tonight.

Thanks a lot

Now if I only had an RNDIS driver that worked in 8-bit mode I could get PC/NFS working!
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    Actually thanks for bumping this old thread. I just tried it on a Tandy PLUS NIC I had made a couple years ago I never could get working. It works like a champ with this driver. It's a 2 chip solution with a AX88796B MAC, a 16v8 for address decode and interrupt routing, and a RJ45 jack with built-in magnetics.
    Hey, that's cool!

I was vaguely thinking about trying to lay out a Plus card with the full RTL8019AS because it seems to be semi-readily available for only around $4 a pop. It has decode circuitry built into it and I was kind of speculating it could be used to make a combo card with an XT-CF on it that used its built-in ROM decode. (I mean, it's there...) But if your version skips some its PNP shenanigans it may well be better.

The ASIX MAC is readily available from Verical. And it's pretty easy to interface too. I've uploaded my design files here:

https://www.retrotronics.org/svn/plus_ethernet/

I ran Mike's spdtest.exe and got about 50 KB/s transmit on my HX over TCP.

EDIT - FYI : prices and stock numbers of distributors

https://www.digipart.com/part/AX88796
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

For probably irrelevant comparison the generic ISA RTL8019A I have dangling precariously inside my 1000 HX-based mutant spdtests at about 73KB/s transmit, 87KB/s receive. Machine has a V20 if that makes any difference.