Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MS-DOS driver for an SD card connected via a parallel port

I just noticed you had created a new post for an updated version of the driver... probably should either condense the posts or note the new version has it's own post.. for those of us that don't stalk the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by elektrownik View Post
    I buyed arduino SD adapter, it works with 5V (with build-in converter). I copyed sd.sys to MS-DOS start FDD, Added line in config.sys, formated SD card (two 32m partitions). But there is message that "drive not connected or not powered". Thanks
    Sorry for posting in this old Thread.
    I got the same problem as you, regardless which voltage i use. I have an "Schneider Euro PC". No matter what I try, it does not work.

Hi all, I just bought all the needed stuff (card reader and parallel connector) and I'd like to build this interface. Only a question...are there any other components (e.g. resistors) to include or can I connect all parallel signals directly to the SD card adapter?

Thank you!
    Davide

Quote Originally Posted by profdc9 View Post
    The driver uses the very slow serial peripheral interface (SPI) mode of the SD card. The
    speed, which depends on your PC speed, could be as slow as 10 kilobytes/second. This is
    not a replacement for your hard drive.
    <zombie thread alert>
    Dan, you sir are a genius!
    While you say it's not a hard drive replacement, in the case of my Amstrad PPC640, it kind of is, due to a complete lack of any way of connecting anything larger than a 720K floppy to this (transportable) laptop.

Photos to follow when I've boxed it up neatly!

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by gagaga View Post
    Sorry for posting in this old Thread.
    I got the same problem as you, regardless which voltage i use. I have an "Schneider Euro PC". No matter what I try, it does not work.
    I had this too, it's there as the /k switch is being used. My switch was working OK (5V on the parallel socket), but got this error.
    I just removed the /k and then no message and the C: drive appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by paperinik77pk View Post
    Hi all, I just bought all the needed stuff (card reader and parallel connector) and I'd like to build this interface. Only a question...are there any other components (e.g. resistors) to include or can I connect all parallel signals directly to the SD card adapter?
    No, there are no other components needed**. Just the socket and the card reader. The card read MUST have voltage leveling chip on board, like the Adafruit one mentioned, or look on eBay for "RobotDyn sd card reader".
    Both these cards also have a voltage regulator onboard to make 3.3V needed by the SD card from a 5V input. The leveling chip then 'translates' between 5V that the parallel port uses and 3.3V the SD card uses.

** IMPORTANT! The bit that may be unclear from the diagram is that a SEPARATE power supply is needed by this SD card reader board. It does not come from the parallel port! **

I had an old USB lead so I cut off the slave end (the bit that plugs into a phone) and binned that. Then using the remaining lead with PC USB plug, the soldered the cable to the Ground and 5V on the card reader.
    The onboard regulator turned that down to 3.3V and the thing works like a charm!

Blog Entries

Anyone have a picture of an already build board is good for assembly

Default Photos!?

Quote Originally Posted by soviet9922 View Post
    Anyone have a picture of an already build board is good for assembly
    Hi, I've been trying to add photos to a reply for the last couple of days, but the posts keep disappearing.
    Maybe this will work?

20200219_230036_HDR.jpg20200223_220829_HDR.jpg20200223_220842_HDR (1).jpg20200222_175059_HDR.jpg

Yes, I've got some photos of my build. I've put them in this VCF album -

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/album.php?albumid=499

It's a shame the OP is long gone; just found out about this and looks really neat. Definitely on my to-do list to try slapping one of these together.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

What makes you say that? He was here a month ago according to his profile page.