Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba Tecra 8000 and 8100 help needed

Default Toshiba Tecra 8000 and 8100 help needed

Hi, I picked up a Toshiba Tecra 8000 and 8100 the other day and can't get either to boot properly. The 8000 is the most likely to be brought back to life I think. It will boot and the screen displays, but I can't get it to read WIN 98 SP off the CD to properly re-install. It worked once I should say. It allowed me to re-install 98 until the reboot was required at the end of installation. I rebooted the computer and it now says NO SYSTEM DISK PRESENT. I bought a new CD drive for it thinking the laser was having issues and get the same thing. Any ideas?

Have you tried to reseat the hdd caddy? I found it to be flakey when not fully pushed in.

Have you tried without the battery installed? I had a tecra 8000 for years, and it eventually failed with "maximum flakeyness" due to a burned connector from the battery power board to the mb. When I turned it in to an 8100 under warranty, the guy at the warranty center said it wasn't an uncommon problem with units that ran mostly on ac but with the battery plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
    Have you tried without the battery installed? I had a tecra 8000 for years, and it eventually failed with "maximum flakeyness" due to a burned connector from the battery power board to the mb. When I turned it in to an 8100 under warranty, the guy at the warranty center said it wasn't an uncommon problem with units that ran mostly on ac but with the battery plugged in.
    No, I will try that though. I did notice that when the battery is completely dead (it does hold somewhat of a charge), it will allow me to try and re-install WIN98 again. If the battery has a charge, I get that NO SYSTEM DISK PRESENT error. I didn't think of pulling the battery off and trying it that way.

No. Didn't work. What it says is "INSERT SYSTEM DISK PRESS ANY KEY WHEN READY". I have tried WIN95, WIN98 and WIN98SE with no luck. How do you get into CMOS on this TECRA? Maybe I will set it so it boots to CD first to see how that goes.

May as well mention my 8100 issues here as well. The 8100 would not display anything on the screen. I discovered it didn't have any memory installed, so ordered s Kingston 256MB stick and installed it. Still no display. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this one?

How do you get into CMOS on this TECRA?
    Seems to me I used to bang on esc and F1, or esc+F1 together.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
    Seems to me I used to bang on esc and F1, or esc+F1 together.
    Thank you. Got it working. I made the CD drive the first to check and got it to install. Downloading drivers for the Tecra 8000 now to get it back to original.

Believe or not, I picked up a second Toshiba Tecra 8000 a few days later from another person clearing out their old PC's. The first one had a brand new, blank hard drive so once I figured out I had to force it to read the CD ROM first in BIOS getting it formatted and working was easy. This new one already has WIN 98 on it. How can I do a fresh install? It doesn't have a disk drive so I can use a boot disk and it and won't let me over right WIN98 with WIN98.

Not sure about that model, but many of them had a hidden 'Recovery Partition' that could basically load an image of the original OEM setup (wiping everything else). Can't say how to get into the recovery partition (if you have one), but there is usually some selection somewhere (perhaps in BIOS?) When you say it doesn't have a disk drive, presumably you are saying no CD, or did you mean no floppy, or both? If you have no CD and no floppy, perhaps you can tell BIOS to boot from USB? If so, you can make a Bootable USB stick with say one of the good Linux rescue CD's (loaded onto USB instead) and could wipe the HDD from there. If none of the above is practical, then remove the HDD, fit it to the other (working) machine and do the same as you did with the first, after first wiping the HDD (assuming you don't want anything off it). Alternatively you could image the good machine and load that image onto the HDD of this machine. If you Image first before doing anything, then you can always go back. Hope that helps.