Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kaypro II Keyboard (Coiled Cable) Wiring information

Default Kaypro II Keyboard (Coiled Cable) Wiring information

I wanted to make a spare Kaypro II Keyboard cable, since my original coiled Cable was beginning to deteriorate.

The following information is located in the Kaypro II Manual.
    J3 Pin 4 (Black) - Keyboard Serial Data Out (to Keyboard) TTL Levels
    J3 Pin 3 (Red) - Ground
    J3 Pin 2 (Yellow) - Keyboard Serial Data In (from Keyboard) TTL Levels
    J3 Pin 1 (Green) - +5 VDC

I had purchased some RJ-22 Modular Plugs and a set of Crimpers from Fry's Electronics. I used my OHM
    Meter to OHM out the Original Keyboard Cable as follows:

I oriented the RJ-22 Modular Plug with Brass Contacts UP, and Pin #1 is on the Left of RJ-22 Modular Plug.

J3 Pin 4 (Black) - Keyboard Serial Data Out (to Keyboard) TTL Levels...............BLACK WIRE.....
    J3 Pin 3 (Red) - Ground............................................ ....................................RED WIRE.........
    J3 Pin 2 (Yellow) - Keyboard Serial Data In (from Keyboard) TTL Levels..............YELLOW WIRE..
    J3 Pin 1 (Green) - +5 VDC............................................... ...............................GREEN WIRE....

.................................................. .........................................Keyboard Serial Data in (from Motherboard) TTL Levels - KB Pin 1 (Black)
    .................................................. .........................................Ground... .................................................. ................. - KB Pin 2 (Red)
    .................................................. .........................................Keyboard Serial Data Out (to Motherboard) TTL Levels - KB Pin 3 (Yellow)
    .................................................. .........................................+5 VDC............................................... ...................... - KB Pin 4 (Green)

Case Plug Pin 1 goes to Keyboard Plug Pin 4
    Case Plug Pin 2 goes to Keyboard Plug Pin 3
    Case Plug Pin 3 goes to Keyboard Plug Pin 2
    Case Plug Pin 4 goes to Keyboard Plug Pin 1

Larry

I had several Kaypros (back in the day).

A telephone handset extension cable (the one between the phone and the handset) can be used for the Kaypro keyboard.
    If you can still fine one.
    I had a couple that were twelve feet long. Worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
    I had several Kaypros (back in the day).

A telephone handset extension cable (the one between the phone and the handset) can be used for the Kaypro keyboard.
    If you can still fine one.
    I had a couple that were twelve feet long. Worked fine.
    I just tried a telephone handset cord with my Kaypro 2 and none of the keyboard keys worked.

Quote Originally Posted by ldkraemer View Post
    I wanted to make a spare Kaypro II Keyboard cable, since my original coiled Cable was beginning to deteriorate.

Larry
    Larry what CABLE did you use? I understand that "regular" coiled phone cable won't work - something about the resistance being wrong. Or maybe the light weight of modern phone cable is not enough to carry the 5 volts? Or both?

I'll have to go to the basement and do a bit of digging. I'm still using my original cable, but it
    needs replaced. I made some spares and have them on the table with the Kaypro. I won't
    know until I find them. I'll look tonight as I'm headed that way trying to finish another project.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by SMichelsen View Post
    I understand that "regular" coiled phone cable won't work - something about the resistance being wrong. Or maybe the light weight of modern phone cable is not enough to carry the 5 volts? Or both?
    Yes thats basically it. If you can find a coiled cable from the 70's or early 80s that actually uses copper braid wire.. you will be fine.. If you use a modern phone line which uses... garbage.. forget it.. the resistance is way too high.

Today I tried to use the keyboard cable from a Mac Plus - didn't work.

Well, I've moved and around my Kaypro II, I don't see any extra keyboard cables that
    were made from flat or round gray cable. I don't remember what I did with the cables
    I crimped ends on or where I got the cable. I know we had some flat cable at work,
    but I don't find any of it around my Kaypro. So, I'm still digging through a few boxes.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by SMichelsen View Post
    Today I tried to use the keyboard cable from a Mac Plus - didn't work.
    As I recall, the MAC used a different cable wiring and so will not work on the Kaypro.
    - Doug

I did look in my All Electronics Book and found this information.

https://www.allelectronics.com/

CAT # CB-47F
    https://www.allelectronics.com/item/...ne-wire/1.html
    7' 4-CONDUCTOR SILVER SATIN PHONE WIRE - AWG28 Stranded 2 for $1.00

Cat # 4CF
    https://www.allelectronics.com/item/...le-wire/1.html
    4 COND FLAT TELE WIRE - AWG28 Stranded 50' for $5.00

Cat # CMP-4
    https://www.allelectronics.com/item/...g-rj-11/1.html
    4 PIN CRIMP-ON MODULAR PLUG RJ-11 10 for $2.50

I may have built mine with something like this. I'm still looking.

Larry