Image Map Image Map
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: MagiDuck, a DOS / CGA text mode game project

Blog Entries

Apologies; you did not expressly state that. I'm not sure what gave me the impression. I guess I was shocked you were running an action game over a remote session and didn't think that the remote session was to blame for the response time or odd behavior.

Why paku-paku works over this and not magiduck? Likely because paku-paku updates very little on the screen, whereas magiduck repaints the entire screen as soon as the player causes scrolling. Maybe the full-screen updates were too much for the remote session to update at ~20fps.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I guess I was shocked you were running an action game over a remote session and didn't think that the remote session was to blame for the response time or odd behavior.
    I suppose that it was silly for it not to occur to me that it might be a factor. But it's the first time I've ever encountered this sort of thing with VNC, specifically keypresses seemingly not being registered properly, not slow response time.

Why paku-paku works over this and not magiduck? Likely because paku-paku updates very little on the screen, whereas magiduck repaints the entire screen as soon as the player causes scrolling. Maybe the full-screen updates were too much for the remote session to update at ~20fps.
    The keyboard problem in MagiDuck using VNC occurs at the title screen. It's bad enough that I can't even start the game.

Quote Originally Posted by cthulhu View Post
    But it's the first time I've ever encountered this sort of thing with VNC, specifically keypresses seemingly not being registered properly, not slow response time.
    Glad to hear the cause was found.

The keyboard interrupt in Magi should be a pretty standard implementation. Of course if the frame rate drops very low for some reason, the interrupt would have time to register both the pressed and release states between two frames. Holding a key down for a long time and waiting for a response might give an idea if frame rate is the cause.

Now that I think about it, the native framerate of 24 fps is far too low for the routine to handle properly... It would need to be more intelligent about when a key can return to its released state.

It's using a WORD per key anyway, so maybe it could use the high byte for affirming that the key state was read by the game and it is ready to change to release.

Good to see a final release! Runs flawlessly on my IBM 5160- looks and plays very polished.

One "nice to have" feature for CGA would be the ability to shift the screen left and right as needed, i.e. increase/decrease the value in port 3D4h register 02. Helpful for people like me with cheap CRT TVs with no H-Position control, since by default everything is so off-center that the left edge of the picture is hidden under the bezel. (TSRs can and do fix this, but only for programs that set the video mode through the BIOS.)

Absolutely not necessary, mind you (I was able to work around it by hacking a different value into the binary); just pointing it out.