Image Map Image Map
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: MagiDuck, a DOS / CGA text mode game project

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    You misunderstood me. What I was saying was that a read-the-timer approach will return the same range of values for the same stick+interface no matter which computer they are installed into, assuming the interface is not affected by system speed. Tight loop/counter routines have higher granularity and less jitter, but their values are sensitive to how many loop iterations can be performed before the stick values return.
    I guess we're lucky that there weren't any CPUs that dynamically changed their clockspeed for power saving/turbo modes like today
    They'd break all non-timer-based joystick routines

I just tested both the link and the actual file download at that link with Chrome and IE 11 and it works fine. File is an FTP link; maybe you have a custom ftp:// handler in your other browsers? That tripped up someone else who had a file download extension installed.
    I think you may have disabled concurrent connections from the same client. That is, I tend to open links in a new window, which means they'll make a new FTP connection. It seems that didn't work, so your FTP may only allow 1 connection (or perhaps 2) per client.

I just tested both the link and the actual file download at that link with Chrome and IE 11 and it works fine.
    The website itself which that link is part of sends EVERY browser here to a blank page, windows "not responding" if scripting is enabled. Classic Opera (12-) throws a truck-load of scripting errors then asks if I want to stop executing scripts on the page as it's hogging the process.

http://trixter.oldskool.org/

The ONLY browser your site seems to even work/load in here is Firefox. It SEEMS to be related to that goofy "follow" popup in the bottom corner as I started blocking per-script to track it down.

Again though just one of those things I'd never put on a website in the first place -- but to be fair i say the same thing about Wordpress in it's entirety in that classic "if you don't know what's wrong with this..."

Code:
    <body class="home blog mp6 customizer-styles-applied highlander-enabled highlander-light">

<div id="container">
    	<div id="sitename">
    		<h1><a href="http://trixter.oldskool.org/">Oldskooler Ramblings</a></h1>
    		<h2>the unlikely child born of the home computer wars</h2>
    	</div>
    "...maybe you shouldn't have a website" kind-of ways. That's the trap of turdpress, it deludes people into thinking they have a website that's useful to visitors when it flat out isn't to 40% or more possible audience.

But I'm an elitist jerk who cares about accessibility, usability, and speed, so what do I know?

Multiple H1, h1+h2 pairings where the latter isn't the start of a subsection, endless pointless DIV, ID and classes with even more endless pointless scripttardery slathered on top resulting in 7.5 megabytes in 57 files to deliver 54k of plaintext and a half dozen content images that shouldn't even be breaking half a megabyte?

HOW do people get DELUDED into thinking that's actually a viable result?!?

Sorry, just venting my utter and complete disgust with the Internet as a whole, which is less useful to me today than it was a decade ago. I'm minutes away from just yanking the cable out of the wall and saying to hell with it the way scripttards and people who have no damned business making websites end up making tools to dupe other people into making crappy useless broken sites. It's like developers have given up and said "websites are bloated slow useless messes, get used to it!"
    Last edited by deathshadow; September 9th, 2015 at 06:06 AM.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Quote Originally Posted by genocho View Post
    Appart from the joystick support are you considering to add adlib sound like in paku-paku ???
    PC Speaker is ok but could be great with adlib or even mt-32
    I've thought about it and have already written some adlib sound routines and a tracker in the past so I know it's a fairly straightforward task. The current sound routines would also make it pretty easy to add support for alternate sound output.

Somehow I don't think it would fit the style of the game though... The project fascinates me mostly because it's meant to run on a bare bones business machine and tries to make the most of it. Since adlib and other popular soundcards came much after IBM 5150, it ruins the "roleplaying the 80's" element of the development for me.

Otherwise, very tempting because adlib is fun challenge to get good sound out of. Kind of like CGA when it comes to graphics

@Mangis:
    I've played around with some of your released alphas for a while but never popped in here to compliment you on this project - awesome work! I really love the dedication you've put into the art & design of this thing, it's not easy to make a playable game in 80x50. I don't have anything near an 8088/CGA setup but it's pretty fun to poke around in even on a more modern machine!

I'm trying to imagine what would have happened if this had been around in say 1982 (or even 85 after SMB1 came around) ... it would have changed EVERYTHING about gaming on computers for years to come.

OFF TOPIC ... - Trixter's blog works perfectly well for me on
    - Old Opera
    - New Opera (32 beta on Mac and 30 beta on Linux)
    - Safari
    - Vivaldi
    ...on various distros of OSX and Linux, as well as Opera Mini (Presto-based) on Android. As do the linked files he provided in the article. Seriously I read it all the time, it's fine. Deathshadow, there's something wrong with your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by mangis View Post
    Since adlib and other popular soundcards came much after IBM 5150, it ruins the "roleplaying the 80's" element of the development for me.
    Well, technically, the Adlib is 80s tech It came on the market in 1987.
    And it is an 8-bit card, so it will work in a 5150/5160 machine, although I suppose 1987 was more the era of the 'Turbo XT' clones, at 8-10 MHz.

By the way, the earlier joystick-discussion inspired me to play around with those timer interrupts somewhat. I wrote down my experiments in this blog: https://scalibq.wordpress.com/2015/0...-all-relative/

Another thing I'd like to say, I'm currently experimenting with some PC beeper music (which is more or less why I was interested in the timer stuff), and I have to say, this video of yours was very nice: https://youtu.be/gqAwmbhQjrk?t=365
    I really like the sound effect editor you have there. I've never actually seen any tools for making PC games like that, so I was wondering what the best way would be to approach designing sounds. Seeing your tool was very helpful and inspirational!

Quote Originally Posted by xjas View Post
    Deathshadow, there's something wrong with your setup.
    Unlikely, if anything it's probably Time Warner dicking with me... since I'm seeing 2 SECOND ping times from here, that's definitely something awry. Again I really suspect it's the ape-shit ridiculous 1.5 MEGABYTES of scripttardery that's at fault for that. (as evident by the endless scripting errors thrown in the console).

But again that's why building a website that's wasting 7.5 megabytes in 57 separate files (so a real world first-load overhead in handshaking should be 12 seconds, worst case a minute and a half) to deliver 56k of plaintext and three content images. Basically eight times larger than need be (though I'd use smaller thumbs and load those images separately bringing it to ten to twelve times larger than need be) in four or five times as many separate files as needed for such a simple layout.

I swear I meet Mullenwig and Little in person, I'll do the ***ing time. Turdpress is such a blight upon the Internet I cannot fathom how or why anyone (particularly a programmer) would use it by choice. Stupidity? Ignorance? Apathy? I just don't get it. Anyone who knows even the SIMPLEST bits of HTML that looks at what the average turdpress site vomits up and has the unmitigated gall to call markup should flee from it in absolute terror!

Just take a look -- no doctype, pointless attributes nothing uses, pointless meta not one legitimate UA gives a flying purple fish about, static CSS in the markup, static scripttardery in the markup, endless pointless separate files making the page slower than molasses in February, endless pointless DIV for nothing, utter and complete gibberish document structure, little if anything remotely resembling semantics, absolute URI's for the sole purpose of wasting bandwidth, tables for layout on non-tabular data, presentation in the markup, scripting only elements in the markup...

The only way it could be useful to a user is if they're in that magical fairy-tale land of perfect high speed fiber with zero accessibility needs... and even then it's burying the needle on one CPU core just having it loaded in FF. (with that much scripttardery is that at all surprising? Of course not!)

But to be fair, I say the same thing about mouth-breathing halfwit nonsense like jQuery and bootcrap. My advice on the latter being to go find a stick to scrape it off with before tracking it all over a website's carpets!

I really can't use his site. Too much scripttardery, zero accessibility, it's a laundry list of how not to build a website; like every other cookie cutter site built in Turdpress it's effectively useless to me as a user.
    Last edited by deathshadow; September 23rd, 2015 at 12:09 AM.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Blog Entries

Maybe you should run Lynx on your setup if you can't browse modestly-scripted websites with modern browsers. My site renders fine in that too.

To save you from frothing at the mouth any further, here are the exact two links you asked for:

ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/ZTIMER11.ZIP

ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/ZTIMER23.ZIP

The latter package adds support for 32-bit protected mode, but removes Turbo Pascal support, so I usually use the former.

For very short sequences (mostly to satisfy curiosity), I use some code written by reenigne that exactly times sequences down to the cycle without DRAM refresh. I leave it to him to describe and/or release that code.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

modestly-scripted websites
    1.5 Megabytes... Almost the size of the Linux Kernel compiled for a specific ARM target... modestly scripted. Here's a tip, if your first-load of scripting, CSS and markup for a page won't fit on a 180k floppy, your website is likely useless rubbish.

*SIGH* What the *** is wrong with people?!? That's almost as idiotic as having an overglorified EULA proclaiming "software freedom" that's larger than the founding documents of most first world nations. That's treading into the same scale of ignorance and nonsense as BS like "probiotics", "anti-vaxx" or faith.

I swear first it was the artsy fartsy types who know **** about ****, then it was the marketing scumbags, and now the snake oil peddlers are mopping up the leftovers.
    Last edited by deathshadow; September 24th, 2015 at 12:57 AM.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

For very short sequences (mostly to satisfy curiosity), I use some code written by reenigne that exactly times sequences down to the cycle without DRAM refresh. I leave it to him to describe and/or release that code.
    It can be found at http://www.reenigne.org/misc/mtd.zip. Edit test.asm to have the code you want to measure, then run go.bat. Currently requires tasm/tlink but could be modified to use a different assembler quite easily. Each test is run 5 times and outputs cycle counts (for the first iteration and if the count changes) and remainders (in units of 1/120 cycle) for each iteration. Source is at https://github.com/reenigne/reenigne...mtimer/mtd.asm.

You can run with no DRAM refresh (to get an insight into what the processor is actually doing) or with a DRAM refresh period of your choice. Running with DRAM refresh disabled or with a higher than normal (i.e. >18) refresh period may lead to system instability, especially if DOS, TSRs, device drivers and the MTD program itself don't all fit into the first DRAM bank (usually 16kB, 64kB or 256kB depending on the type of DRAM chips your system uses).

Sorry it's a bit unintuitive - it was really just written for my own experimentation and I haven't had time to clean it up or write it up properly.