Image Map Image Map
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 204

Thread: MagiDuck, a DOS / CGA text mode game project

  1. #191

    Default

    I've tried at least four different LHA archivers, including the DOS version included in xtfiles.rar. All give the same CRC error when extracting REDROSE.COM from REDROSE.LHA.

  2. #192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I re-ran the tests in the spreadsheet with compack and pklite and found that compack does indeed compress smaller and decompress faster. Some quick analysis of compack shows:
    • It compresses smaller because it is an optimal parser; pklite is not (it is a lazy parser).
    • It decompresses faster because it uses no order-0 (statistical) compression; it is pure LZSS. No huffman/elias-gamma/etc. codes to depack. This makes the previous point very interesting; it manages to produce smaller files than pklite even though pklite is using order-0 codes (shannon-fano).
    Sounds great! I'll go find version 5.1 too

    Did you analyze the resulting exe-file or the compressor itself to come to this conclusion?

  3. #193
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    4,563
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cthulhu View Post
    I've just spent several hours looking through this very interesting archive. Did you know some of the LHA archives contained in it appear to be corrupt?
    I didn't know some of the *.lha files were corrupt, thanks for letting me know. They appear to be:

    Code:
    apputils\SOUND\SPEAKER\1-BIT:
    
    09/21/1989  11:53 AM            62,816 DIGITIZE.LHA
    08/24/1989  02:59 PM            28,590 DP.LHA
    01/07/1990  04:01 AM            23,105 PASCPLAY.LHA
    10/30/1989  12:30 AM            35,328 REDROSE.LHA
    08/27/1989  04:41 AM            33,120 TRAN.LHA
    ...which signals to me that there must have been some single-bit errors when I transferred them to/from the floppy disk. The oldest source I have for them are on my 5160 dev system where they also appear to be corrupt. Whoops!

    All of the files can still be used if you extract them except for TRAN.EXE which can be downloaded from other sources online. If I run across the original disks/files, I'll update the archive.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

  4. #194
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    Plays great, the load times are much improved. Pretty much the only suggestion I would make to improve the game would be to add joystick support. Is that feasible without causing too much of a performance hit?
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

  5. #195
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    4,563
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mangis View Post
    Did you analyze the resulting exe-file or the compressor itself to come to this conclusion?
    I compressed a small dummy .com and disassembled the resulting compressed file. Other than an elias-gamma-like decode sequence for match length, there's virtually no bit handling. As for it being an optimal parser, that's an educated guess based on the results (I know that pklite is lazy-match so the only thing that could beat it is an optimal parser).

    Now I really want to track down the author and talk to him It was an impressive achievement to outperform pklite on all fronts in the same years pklite was being developed.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

  6. #196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I compressed a small dummy .com and disassembled the resulting compressed file.
    Now I really want to track down the author and talk to him It was an impressive achievement to outperform pklite on all fronts in the same years pklite was being developed.
    Cool!

    I'm sure you already tried "COMPACK -o" to bring up the order form with some italian address on it

    Quote Originally Posted by Great Hierophant View Post
    Plays great, the load times are much improved. Pretty much the only suggestion I would make to improve the game would be to add joystick support. Is that feasible without causing too much of a performance hit?
    I have some concerns about adding joystick support... Mainly, the game slows down quite abit when there are many sprites or objects in general. Adding even a 10% hit to that might mean making it less playable on target hardware. That might be mangeable if the joystick support can be disabled.

    Another thing is the memory usage, which is already very close to exceeding my target of 256KB. Adding more bells and whistles like joystick calibration and new menu code could mean alot more memory usage...

    Third, I don't have hardware to test it on at the moment. Looking at things now, I feel pretty dumb to even start developing a game for hardware I have no access to :/

    It would be fun to add support for joysticks later, but I think it'd be safer with a complete rewrite in C.

    Thanks for the feedback and the mention in your article. Very interesting read once again, I added a link to it from Magi's indieDB site

  7. #197
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    4,563
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mangis View Post
    I'm sure you already tried "COMPACK -o" to bring up the order form with some italian address on it
    I hadn't because that notice is from 1993. I may try harder someday

    Adding even a 10% hit to that might mean making it less playable on target hardware.
    I disagree somewhat because your framerate is IIRC locked at 24fps. However, as previously discussed, it does take roughly 10% of every screen refresh to read the joystick so if you're near performance boundaries, it may be best to wait.

    Another thing is the memory usage, which is already very close to exceeding my target of 256KB. Adding more bells and whistles like joystick calibration and new menu code could mean alot more memory usage...
    Joystick code is about 50 bytes to do the read, so don't worry about that.

    Thanks for the feedback and the mention in your article. Very interesting read once again, I added a link to it from Magi's indieDB site
    Oh my, that's quite an article!
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

  8. #198

    Default

    I just fired the game up on my 5150. Looks and plays pretty great, you've done an amazing job!


  9. #199
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SquallStrife View Post
    I just fired the game up on my 5150. Looks and plays pretty great, you've done an amazing job!

    Nice PVM you have there, is it accepting the CGA signal natively or are you running it through a converter of some kind?
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

  10. #200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Great Hierophant View Post
    Nice PVM you have there, is it accepting the CGA signal natively or are you running it through a converter of some kind?
    Natively! This particular PVM has a TTL RGB input on the back, as well as the usual assortment of inputs. So, with a button press I can toggle between viewing composite and digital CGA.

    Unfortunately it does suffer from the "Ski Free Dog Pee" yellow problem. (I.e. not remapping dark yellow to brown)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •