Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PT Helios II cosmetic restoration is coming along....

Thanks guys. I grabbed a copy. This is timely for me because I just acquired another Sol-20 (purely by luck) with a custom name plate. Not sure if I'll keep it or replace it.

Started to reassemble the drive, supply and case. No front panel yet...

You can see in the attached pics the single Persci drive with two disk slots. It shares a common motor, but has a head for each drive. This is one thing that makes the Helios really cool to watch when doing a disk copy with the cover off.

Also attached is a picture of one of the controller cards. Can you tell which cable connector on the card isn't original. The replacement I found was exact...

Cheers,
    Corey
    Attached Images Attached Images

Front panel painted and splattered. Now need to wait a few days to harden up so I can buff it out and reassemble the whole thing.

image.jpg

Impressive. Would you consider posting a little video on the technique? It looks great.

I would like at some point to make a video of it, but a video of spray painting isn't so easy. First I don't want to ruin the camera because of any paint mist in the air. Second, to do it right I'd need a cameraman as I don't hang the piece as would have been done in the factory or in a paint shop, it put it on a card board box and move around the piece. It's more about not wanting to paint my walls and just wanting to paint the piece. Makes it a bit harder to do because you need to keep the angle of the gun much more consistent. The camera man would need a paint mask. I only have one and they are about $25-50 dollars. I don't use a cheap mask, but one made for spraying with an HVLP gun.

On a good note: my $26 on sale at harbor freight HVLP touchup gun works much better to do a splatter coat than my big gun... With the big gun I need to do two coats of different sizes to get the effect, with the small gun I can adjust the air pressure a bit easier with my finger as I go around.

Cheers,
    Corey

Corey,

I'm interested in reproducing the paper badge as well. Did you print this yourself, or did you have a service print it?

Dave

@Corey:

Also, do you happen to recall which paint you used?

Thanks,

Dave

I'd be interested in which paint was used as well.

Bob
    Bob Stek
    Saver of Lost Sols

For the paper logo, I had the professionally reproduced on magazine paper so it matches perfectly.

For the paint, I had it custom mixed to match. It is specifically made for painting metal. If I recall I tried to find a Pantone that matched and it wasn’t perfect enough. I may still have the can for the brand and type. The paint wasn’t cheap.

Hmmm. Maybe 'close enough' will have to do. I'm more frugal than I am a perfectionist.
    Bob Stek
    Saver of Lost Sols