Image Map Image Map

Thread: 5,25" Drive Not Working!

Default 5,25" Drive Not Working!

Hello all,

A friend just gave me a 5,25" floppy drive, I ran into my house and I installed it on my Desktop PC. It is correctly configured on the BIOS with another 3,5" drive that works perfectly.

Well, first of all, it doesn't read commercial diskettes. I cleaned the heads with a 5,25 cleaning diskette. When I try to format any floppy disk, it gives me a Track 0 error but, if I put something between the head and the little spring it has to get the head in contact with the floppy, It try to format my diskettes. And it does, but it takes a long time because the head is always going backwards and fordwards on the floppy. I wish you could help me to repair my floppy drive because where I live it's hard to get one.

Thanks a lot.

Bye.

enon97

Blog Entries

Can you tell members what make and model the drive is thanks. Also what is your desktop pc?
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

You are saying that the head isn't making good contact with the disk and you have to have something press down on the head do get it to work?

What brand and model of drive is this? Can you post a picture of the head assembly?

Is this a 360k or 1.2mb drive? And are you sure you are using the appropriate media (360k double-density or 1.2mb high density)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Can you tell members what make and model the drive is thanks. Also what is your desktop pc?
    Yeah!, sorry, I forgot it.

It's an 1,2 Mb MITSUMI NEWTRONICS D509V5

Mi Desktop PC:

750 MB RAM DDR
    80 GB HDD IDE Master
    40 GB HDD IDE Slave
    DVD-Rom player Master.
    CD Writer Slave
    Motherboard: P4VXAD+

Example Picture:

FD120010.jpg
    Last edited by enon97; July 19th, 2014 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    You are saying that the head isn't making good contact with the disk and you have to have something press down on the head do get it to work?

What brand and model of drive is this? Can you post a picture of the head assembly?

Is this a 360k or 1.2mb drive? And are you sure you are using the appropriate media (360k double-density or 1.2mb high density)
    No, I think the head does good contact with the disk. Instead of a picture, I'll upload a video.

This might take an hour, be patient!

Hello!

I will upload all my videos/photos here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ur1c4o3za...uzJbvXfomDwvSa

Bye.