Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shack's end looking nigher than usual

Quote Originally Posted by AMenard
    ...I miss Radio Shack...I used to buy "surprise" box ar my local RS store when I was young. They sold those for about $10.00 and they were filled with a bunch of mixed components.
    Yeah, When I was in high school in the mid '70s I used to buy their books on circuits with integrated chips... I'd buy counters, shift registers, 555 timers and LED numeric displays and wire them up experimentally.

I even tried buying salvage electronic boards from other sources to de-solder or cut out the chips for experimentation... lacking the right tools to de-solder that didn't work so I'd read up on the chips on the board to figure out what its function was, and then went back to Radio Shack to buy my chips.

I bought a General Instruments AY3-8910 Programmable Sound Generator at Radio Shack when I was in college and used the suggested circuitry to wirewrap a S-100 version... that was/is a great little board. Somewhere I still have a text-to-voice chip I bought at Radio Shack that may yet see action someday.

If I hook that up with the LPC encoded TI speech chip I designed into the Radio Shack cordless phones, they can have an e-conversation. The text-to-vox chip will think its in voice-mail hell with the phone chip only talking about dialing stuff.

Does anyone remember this recent commercial :

Seven months later, it seems cruelly ironic for RS. Alas how the mighty have fallen since the glory days when RS was a computing pioneer and then a major player in the PC market. From 1977, when they entered the microcomputing business, until they left it in 1993, RS seemed to be at least a decent place to go. Now I only go if I so desperately need a cable or component that I can't wait and will pay a higher price for it than buying online at Monoprice or Jameco or Amazon.
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

The Radio Shack I knew has been dead and gone years ago. That was the Radio Shack selling the previous year's version of the $40 Fostex FE-103 speaker as the $10 Realistic 1197, or the three different really awesome 8 inch speakers that sounded amazing on low powered amplifiers due to their "efficiency > high wattage" design. Radio Shack sold quite a few gems among their inventory of 'raw' speakers, and even sold a kit that you can build your own speaker driver! That was the Radio Shack I knew, not this wannabe cell phone shop they are now. All thats left of their glory days is the endlessly useful Mini Speaker/Amp and a small Mylar cone speaker in the parts drawer used for repairing old Game Boys and Game Gears with bad speakers. Their Pro Audio Speakers may look like the ones from their glory days, but the box is a shoddier material and the only still decent driver is the woofer. The tweeter and midrange are both inferior to the older versions.

It would also be great if they had a decent selection of electronic components...invariably they don't have the capacitor or resistor you're looking for. Wouldn't take that much more space in the store to have a useful selection...

I would also love to have a catalog again...trying to find something odd on their website is a joke. You really just need a catalog to browse and look at pictures and get ideas.

Wesley

Blog Entries

I'd be happy if the local stores simply stocked the standard NTE line. Not going to happen now.

In the old days, you could buy not only ICs and discretes, but also stuff like a 16-bit ISA edge connector. Those days are long gone--however, I can hear my AM/FM/SW "Realistic" radio playing in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I'd be happy if the local stores simply stocked the standard NTE line. Not going to happen now.

In the old days, you could buy not only ICs and discretes, but also stuff like a 16-bit ISA edge connector. Those days are long gone--however, I can hear my AM/FM/SW "Realistic" radio playing in the background.
    I too wished they stocked the standard 74 and 40 series ICs, but the closest store where I can find them is 40 miles away.
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

My local Radio Shack used to stock the 7400/4000 series, however only in piecemeal. They have since pulled those chips at the local stores. The one I had near my college out in the boonies had a surprisingly large stock of them on hand before they moved their store location. After that, they standardized their parts.

Actually, of the 3 locations that were closest to where I live, one of them closed up shop a few months back without warning, and sent their stock & employees to another location. It's now slightly more inconvenient for me to go to the store and buy what I need. However, when I want something quick, I usually have to try Radio Shack, Micro Center, and a local small electronics supply. And even then, it's unlikely that I will find what I'm searching for if it is even slightly uncommon, which means that I have to find it online instead.

One thing that I've spotted in only one location thus far is a cell phone repair service. They have a small workstation at the back, typically staffed by a guy in a lab coat. I'm not sure what kind of repairs they offer, but I doubt it is getting much business. Anyone else have this in their local RS?
    Current projects: The Cactus 6502 front panel homebrew computer 🌵, reviving a DG Nova 1200, upgrading an OSI Challenger 4P, fixing a Hero 1 robot, upgrading an AST Bravo, monkeying with VIC-20s, reverse-engineering a Decitek paper tape reader/punch, among other things...

Here's a link to an interesting article by a person who was a Radio Shack employee for 3 1/2 years:

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/11/26/7...eulogy-stories

Enjoy!
    smp

Wow. That was certainly a difficult position to be in. Not being able to close a store because the inventory is collateral sounds bizarre, to say the least. Wouldn't the inventory just be absorbed by the remaining stores, and still be viable as collateral? Well, I am not a contracts person, nor a financial person, so there must be more to it than my feeble thoughts allow.

My thought about what would possibly sustain RS is to go all in with supporting the electronics hobbyist, with pieces, parts, kits, and all. Get back to what they did well in the past, supporting Hams and hobbyists. And, adding in that idea about ordering online and picking up at your local store would also be a nice benefit to add to the attraction.

Just my thoughts...

smp

Quote Originally Posted by smp View Post
    Here's a link to an interesting article by a person who was a Radio Shack employee for 3 1/2 years:

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/11/26/7...eulogy-stories
    While it is always interesting to read about somebody else's misery (and RS was probably not much worse than many chain retail outlets), the real gem of that article was the link to www.radioshackcatalogs.com.

I think I slept with that first TRS-80 brochure on my nightstand for months!