Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba T3200SXC needs new LCD scree, need help finding compatible replacement.

Default Toshiba T3200SXC needs new LCD scree, need help finding compatible replacement.

Hi everyone!

I've got a Toshiba T3200SXC portable, the screen comes on rather crisp for a few minutes at boot, but quickly fades to nearly illegible washed out colorless pale grey. I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a suitable replacement screen. Here's what I know about it from the manual and from taking it apart:

Toshiba P/N VF0060P01
    Sharp P/N LQ10D013

10.4 inch screen, 640 x 480 pixels, TFT Colour LCD (VGA), 512 color capability
    Maximum of 185193 colors (256 colors at one time)
    VGA compatible Graphics Adapter WD90C21

The motherboard connects to the LCD with a 28 pin I/F connector, 27 of the pins are in use. Attached is the pin assignment table:

LCD-Pins.jpg

If anyone knows how to use this information to find a suitable replacement, I'd be most thankful. There's currently an LQ10D013 on Ebay for $1490.00! I have no idea why so expensive. http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-LCD-Scre...item2344bc5037

Jonathan

This is a common problem with these machines. Seen the same thing on the T6600 & T6400. It's down to failing capacitors on the inverter board.

Cheers,
    Dave

[QUOTE=Moonferret;351182]This is a common problem with these machines. Seen the same thing on the T6600 & T6400. It's down to failing capacitors on the inverter board.

That's good information, are you suggesting that my current screen could be repaired with a few capacitors?

I've been researching this on my own, but not sure if I understand correctly. The pin out on the manual lists the following signals:
    R0, R1, R2, G0, G1, G2, B0, B1, B2

To me this would suggest a 9 bit RGB signal, 3 bits for each R, G, B
    perhaps over a TTL interface?

The most basic modern 10.4" screens I can get a datasheet for seem to require 18 bit TTL, 6 bits per color.

Anyone out there familiar enough with LCD interfaces to confirm if I'm on the right track?

Sometimes it's just about knowing enough of the right vocabulary to ask Google the right question.

Somebody else with the same problem...

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=42242

1st thing to check would be the capacitors on the inverter board. If it's anything like the T6400, it will be these that are causing the issues with the contrast. Sadly, I can't be any more specific as I done the repair on a T6400 nearly 10 years ago and no longer have the machine to check

Cheers,
    Dave

I was able to install a new screen into the T3200SXC. One nice thing about this model is that there's gobs of room inside the case. It also has a VGA out on the motherboard. My solution was to remove the motherboard, flip it over and solder wire leads onto the through-hole pins of the VGA connector. Then I routed the wires up through the inside of the case. I ordered a new LED backlit 10.4 screen with VGA input and shoehorned it into the original brackets of the failed screen. A bonus to this modification is that the original LCD only supported 640x480, and my new screen now supports 800x600, which the VGA out also supports. The end result is fantastic, everything looks and works like the machine has been unmodified.
    IMG_0591.jpgIMG_0593.jpgIMG_0594.jpg

The next challenge is to see if I can get the XTIDE BIOS installed and working on this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by new_castle_j View Post
    I was able to install a new screen into the T3200SXC. One nice thing about this model is that there's gobs of room inside the case. It also has a VGA out on the motherboard. My solution was to remove the motherboard, flip it over and solder wire leads onto the through-hole pins of the VGA connector. Then I routed the wires up through the inside of the case. I ordered a new LED backlit 10.4 screen with VGA input and shoehorned it into the original brackets of the failed screen. A bonus to this modification is that the original LCD only supported 640x480, and my new screen now supports 800x600, which the VGA out also supports. The end result is fantastic, everything looks and works like the machine has been unmodified.
    IMG_0591.jpgIMG_0593.jpgIMG_0594.jpg

The next challenge is to see if I can get the XTIDE BIOS installed and working on this machine.
    Impressive mod, I should look into something like that with my broken screen Zeos 386 laptop.

I am not familiar with the T3200, are there any unoccupied ROM Sockets? Or can you tap ISA bus via an expansion connector of some kind? If so, it should be doable getting XTIDE BIOS on it. If not, you could always go the software route and use a DDO like OnTrack DiskManager, that's the route I usually go on laptops (like I did on my working screen Zeos 386).
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

One very nice feature of this machine is that it has 2 ISA expansion slots built in, 1 8bit and another 16bit slot. I've got a 3Com Etherlink II with an empty ROM socket that I'm going to try with.

Quote Originally Posted by new_castle_j View Post
    One very nice feature of this machine is that it has 2 ISA expansion slots built in, 1 8bit and another 16bit slot. I've got a 3Com Etherlink II with an empty ROM socket that I'm going to try with.
    Should work just fine in a Etherlink II, I have run the XTIDE BIOS in the ROM socket of an Etherlink II and III before successfully, as well as a slightly more modern Linksys ISA card.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Blog Entries

So you took this from grayscale and made it into color?
    JOZXYQK[/B][/B]