Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Signetics PLS153A programmer

Quote Originally Posted by AK6DN View Post
    And lastly, I also have my older EETools TopMax programmer which is the prior parallel-port based version of the TopMaxII (which has a USB interface). It is still perfectly functional, but it requires a WindowsXP machine with a real parallel port to be able to run the EEtools MaxLoader software (www.eetools.com). I'm willing to let it go to a good home to someone that can make use of it. Original cost was $495 years ago, I'll give it up for $100 plus shipping.

Don
    Don, if available, I'll take it for $100. PM me if it's still available.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snuci View Post
    Don, if available, I'll take it for $100. PM me if it's still available.
    You got it; EEtools TopMax has been claimed.

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    Excellent. I'll have to try running those some time to see how they work.

From a quick look at the Amaze_1.7 files it appears that the supported device list includes the following:
    gslick,
    Do you actually have any of these parts? The PLS100/82S100 are hard to find and expense. Does anyone have a source for these parts?
    They are used in some Commodore computers and would be useful for repair.
    -Dave

Nope, I don't have any PLS100 / 82S100 parts myself. Never had any hardware which uses those.

I see some listed as NOS / unprogrammed on eBay around the $20 - $25 range. Not cheap, and you'd have to risk that they have actually never been programmed. They are one time programmable, so if they have been programmed they would not be suitable for reuse. You would want to buy from someone that offers a money back guarantee if they were not blank.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    Nope, I don't have any PLS100 / 82S100 parts myself. Never had any hardware which uses those.

I see some listed as NOS / unprogrammed on eBay around the $20 - $25 range. Not cheap, and you'd have to risk that they have actually never been programmed. They are one time programmable, so if they have been programmed they would not be suitable for reuse. You would want to buy from someone that offers a money back guarantee if they were not blank.
    I purchased a lot of 12 supposedly NOS unprogrammed PLS100N (same as 82S100N) parts from eBay, and only two of the lot were truly blank/unprogrammed. The ten other parts looked to be variously programmed and were decidedly not blank. So I would be really cautious about sourcing these parts from eBay now, especially shipped from China.

There seem to be a lot of Chinese vendors that have 'new' 82S100/PLS100 on eBay, and I'm pretty skeptical at this point. They are charging $20-$25 each for what I am assuming are already programmed parts / board pulls, or in some case are downright counterfit parts that have been relabeled.

My purchase was quite a while ago and I think I paid $5 each quite a few years ago, and basically ate the cost for the already programmed parts. So caveat emptor.

Quote Originally Posted by 8008guy View Post
    Can you create a schematic for that one and post it?
    I had at peek at the standard adapter (303A-011) that I had handy. It's a 6" X 4.5" board. I was hoping it would be 8 pin drivers and a couple of PROMs. But looking at it, I think it would take two men and a boy to buzz it out in a timely manner <smile>.

The board does say 'Generic Mother Board 701-2090-007' so perhaps it is the same one on all adapters?

Will these type adapters work on a Model 22 Programmer?
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by AK6DN View Post
    I purchased a lot of 12 supposedly NOS unprogrammed PLS100N (same as 82S100N) parts from eBay, and only two of the lot were truly blank/unprogrammed. The ten other parts looked to be variously programmed and were decidedly not blank. So I would be really cautious about sourcing these parts from eBay now, especially shipped from China.
    Yes,
    Selling one-time programmable devices from board pulls is questionable. Do these vendors not understand or are they pure rip-off?

A couple of years ago I bought three 82S100's from a source in China hoping they were perhaps good clones or NOS. One worked. I wonder if they are intentionally putting in a blank device in with the bad to keep from getting returns?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    I dug up a few old Signetics PLD DOS programs (simpal and amaze) yesterday
    ULed to http://bitsavers.org/components/signetics
    Al,
    Thanks so much, I have been looking for the Signetics Amaze software for years!
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave_m View Post
    Al,
    Thanks so much, I have been looking for the Signetics Amaze software for years!
    -Dave
    I just saw the original slipcase so LMK if there are any problems with the zip files.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dave_m View Post
    I had at peek at the standard adapter (303A-011) that I had handy. It's a 6" X 4.5" board. I was hoping it would be 8 pin drivers and a couple of PROMs. But looking at it, I think it would take two men and a boy to buzz it out in a timely manner <smile>.

The board does say 'Generic Mother Board 701-2090-007' so perhaps it is the same one on all adapters?

Will these type adapters work on a Model 22 Programmer?
    -Dave

I dont think so. The adaptors for the series 22 dont appear nearly that complicated. Typically 8748s and 8751s just require a crystal and a few other parts. They program much like an eprom.
    Spread the joy of Vintage Addiction

-->www.chronworks.com/<--->www.i8008.net/<--