Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yay! Full internet and web connectivity on my 5160 via Ethernet

Default Yay! Full internet and web connectivity on my 5160 via Ethernet

I was finally able to achieve full internet and web connectivity using an XIRCOM PE3-10BT RJ45 Parallel Port Ethernet adapter that I was able to snag along with an AC power adapter and driver diskette.

This tiny device doesn't take up an expansion slot, which is great because all of my 8 slots were already full and I didn't want to sacrifice a single add on. My auxiliary backpack 3.5" 1.44MB drive, backpack CD-ROM and the ZIP 100 drives are all daisy chained off of a single bi-directional parallel port. I simply plugged the XIRCOM into the Zip 100 parallel pass-through and the XIRCOM was automatically recognized as a Ethernet adapter on IRQ7 (Soft IRQ 0x60). The XIRCOM came with its original driver diskette and the matching packet driver - all I needed to do was copy it and add it in my AUTOEXEC.BAT and then install a TCP/IP stack.

For the TCP/IP stack I installed mTCP and with a few AUTOEXEC.BAT mods I was able to start DHCP and get an IP address automatically assigned. As you can see in the attached photos I can ping other computers of all types on my network and was also able to install, configure and connect to the web with the Arachne CSS-enabled graphical web browser and navigate to a variety of current web sites. I was also able to configure both inbound and outbound SMTP and POP3 email servers via Arachne. mTCP also comes with a variety of other utilities including Telnet, FTP client and host, an IRC client and more. I could speed up the XIRCOM up to 4x faster with a EPP parallel port if I want to at some future point. Granted, a native 8-bit Ethernet card would provide even faster connectivity, but as I said, preservation of my existing adapters was paramount and I don't expect to be doing heavy web surfing with this.

The Arachne web browser is not the fastest browser in the world, even with the 80386, but it does have current CSS support. I would appreciate any recommendations for a faster browser.

Pics!!! (the picture of the XIRCOM was taken before I eliminated the cable and plugged it directly into the Zip 100 parallel pass-through port):

2015-02-02 17.54.27.jpg
    2015-02-02 22.17.45.jpg
    2015-02-02 17.54.21.jpg
    2015-02-02 18.00.35.jpg
    2015-02-02 18.04.19.jpg

Regards,
    Mike
    Last edited by nc_mike; February 3rd, 2015 at 04:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Excellent stuff. Well done. As far as graphical Web browsing on this class of system in dos Arachne is it. There are text browsers you can try out. http://www.compmiscellanea.com/en/we...rs-for-dos.htm
    Last edited by Caluser2000; February 2nd, 2015 at 09:27 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

I love it! I've always wanted to do this with my 5160.

Quote Originally Posted by bobba84 View Post
    I love it! I've always wanted to do this with my 5160.
    Why wait?

Xircom PE3-10BT: http://www.brutman.com/Dos_Networking/xircom_pe3.html
    mTCP: http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/
    DOS Networking with Packet drivers: http://www.brutman.com/Dos_Networking/

That should get you on your way ...

Taking it to the next level....

With the Intel InBoard 386/PC I often read in posts that a 5160 with this adapter could only support specific version of Windows 3.x (Windows 3.0.0(a) - an Intel-developed incarnation, but low and behold, I was able to install and run a copy of standard Microsoft Windows 3.0a, not just without any issues, but rather well. I heard that it wouldn't run Windows 3.1. However, I do have the Inboard/PC with the 1M of on-board RAM as well as the 4MB piggyback daughter card - so I figured heck, why not try to install Windows 3.1? So I did and without a hitch, finally ending that debate once and for all. Without the add 2MB or 4MB of extended RAM, running only Windows 3.0a is possible, but 3.1 (and 3.11) will run with 3MB minimum, 4MB recommended.

Not only did Windows 3.1 install, it runs very snappy with the Intel Inboard/386 PC. So I decided, heck, I've got TCP/IP working under PCDOS 2000, why not try to install IE 3.02a? Well, that installed and started up flawlessly and also very snappy - lightning fast compared to Arachne under DOS and it came with Java - nice. Only I don't know how to connect via the TCP/IP I've got active under DOS via Windows 3.1 to be able to use IE 3.02a on the web. There are options in IE for connection via a proxy server but not if I can somehow make it work without adding Windows networking support. I have a copy of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 I could try upgrading to (requires only 3MB) - which adds network support, unless there is another way to do it with an add-on to Windows 3.1.

Thoughts?

2015-02-03 18.45.51.jpg
    2015-02-03 20.02.55.jpg
    2015-02-03 20.36.43.jpg
    2015-02-03 21.01.18.jpg
    2015-02-03 21.09.31.jpg

Regards,
    Mike
    Last edited by nc_mike; February 3rd, 2015 at 07:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Just give wfw a shot and stop mucking around

You can use winpkt, along with your Dos packet driver and Trumpet winsock to get tcpip connectivity in windows 3.1. I did that with Win 3.1 on my 286 http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...V-251-EC/page4 You have the benefit of a 386 processor so can use 386enh mode so have access to a wider variety of browsers. Once you start trying to load web pages in IE 3x the first thing you need to do is disable anything java script related. Can't remember if you can turn that off on IE 3x or not. Even when that's done expect it hang and require a restart quite often. Opera 3.60 would be a better choice from what I can gather.

Also you could give the 8086-286 version of Arachne a shot well if you haven't done so already http://www.glennmcc.org/arachne/197-8086/
    You are running your ethernet via the parrallel port which seems strange because your goal is to get the best performance out if the machine. Fitting a nic will speed things up a fair bit network wise.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; February 4th, 2015 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Corrections and observations.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Just give wfw a shot and stop mucking around

You can use winpkt, along with your Dos packet driver and Trumpet winsock to get tcpip connectivity in windows 3.1. I did that with Win 3.1 on my 286 http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...V-251-EC/page4 You have the benefit of a 386 processor so can use 386enh mode so have access to a wider variety of browsers. Once you start trying to load web pages in IE 3x the first thing you need to do is disable anything java script related. Can't remember if you can turn that off on IE 3x or not. Even when that's done expect it hang and require a restart quite often. Opera 3.60 would be a better choice from what I can gather.

Also you could give the 8086-286 version of Arachne a shot well if you haven't done so already http://www.glennmcc.org/arachne/197-8086/
    You are running your ethernet via the parrallel port which seems strange because your goal is to get the best performance out if the machine. Fitting a nic will speed things up a fair bit network wise.
    Yes, I know intrinsically you are right about the NIC - I need to upgrade to a real Ethernet adapter and plan to do so - else I'll not get the performance I ultimately want. The XIRCOM is enough for a temporary solution; I have an internal 56K modem installed that I can ditch and use that slot. What is the best NIC I can use in a 5160 that has an RJ45 connector and a readily-available packet driver for it? I was looking at something like this, but not sure it would work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-in-box-P...item3cf1039a5d I also can get my hands on a 16-bit 3Com 3C-509B adapter, but I don't know if that card would work in an XT machine with its driver (which is probably a 286 driver and I don't know at which point the Inboard takes over the system BIOS to know if it would load a 286 driver).

Regards,
    Mike
    Last edited by nc_mike; February 4th, 2015 at 05:20 AM.

OK, I am a little closer to a real NIC. I popped in 3Com 3C509B TP NIC and found an XT version of the driver thanks to some folks here in an old post where someone modified the original driver to work with an XT ( http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...266#post224266 ). The good news was that after installing the card the system booted fine and the adapter seems to be using COM2 at HW interrupt 3. The problem occurs when I try to load the packet driver (see photo). I run the packet driver: 3C509.COM -i x060 and it runs, but says it is using Interrupt 10. After I run the packet driver my XT-IDE CF gets disabled - I am thinking it might be in conflict after I run the packet driver and I am not sure how to resolve that conflict. Ever so close!

Regards,
    Mike

ATTACH=CONFIG]22584[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nc_mike; February 4th, 2015 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nc_mike View Post
    I run the packet driver: 3C509.COM -i x060 and it runs, but says it is using Interrupt 10.
    You need to configure the card to use an IRQ less than 8 since IRQ 8-15 doesn't exist on an XT. This is done with 3C5X9CFG.EXE included with the drivers from 3Com.
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Yes, that did it. I grabbed a copy of 3c5x9cfg.exe and ran it. It detected the card and let me set the IRQ to IRQ 3 and pick an unused I/O address - even told me when I picked addresses that were already in use - nice. After that I was able to run the packet driver without conflict and then start the DHCP client from mCTP and got full connectivity. Thanks!

Looks like I'll be selling the XIRCOM PE3-10BT RJ45 Parallel Port Ethernet adapter soon!

Now to deal with Win 3.11....

Regards,
    Mike

2015-02-04 13.38.02.jpg
    Last edited by nc_mike; February 4th, 2015 at 10:55 AM.