Image Map Image Map
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Lanier Model 103 "No Problem" word processor

I put a handful of self-powered, self-referenced volt meters on order. They're coming in from China so no clue when they'll actually arrive but it'll give me a good opportunity to monitor the power rails all at the same time when the machine is running.

Phil

Just placed an order for 2 8080A processors from Jameco. I have a feeling, looking at the datasheet, that the -12 (and subsequently -5) rails being inop will have toasted the current one.

--Phil

20171211_165234.jpg

Well, that didn't change the behavior much at all.

Next up, pulling the backplane out and having the boards out on the desk so I can actually get probe clips on the thing.

Phil

20171227_191951.jpg

Built a voltmeter panel. Powered up, everything coming from the PSU is stable and within tolerance. Still the same crackling beep for about 30 seconds, then it goes silent. Didn't run it much more than that to see if it changed as it warmed up, will do that tonight and have a poke about on the video and CPU boards for everything looking correct. Next task then will probably be to pull the backplane out and sit it on the table so I can clip to it with the logic analyzer.

--Phil

I worked for Lanier for years repairing these in the field. They do NOT run CP/M, but a proprietary OS. I used to have some disks for them, but I haven't seen them for years. Probably tossed them at some point.

John

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipA View Post
    20171227_191951.jpg

Built a voltmeter panel. Powered up, everything coming from the PSU is stable and within tolerance. Still the same crackling beep for about 30 seconds, then it goes silent. Didn't run it much more than that to see if it changed as it warmed up, will do that tonight and have a poke about on the video and CPU boards for everything looking correct. Next task then will probably be to pull the backplane out and sit it on the table so I can clip to it with the logic analyzer.

--Phil

If you do ever come across them, let me know!

I've had to pack the Lanier back in the cupboard for the moment (prep for visitors) but it'll be back out after because I want to find out why the beep tone when it's powered up warbles so badly. If you power one up sans diskettes, what would it do? Beep? Mine doesn't produce a steady tone, rather a crackling modulated beep, which sounds plain wrong...

Thanks

--Phil

Blog Entries

Lanier did offer a CP/M (just check the trade rags) option for the 103, but that wasn't the standard software. There was a sort of data migration program available between the two OSs as the file system organization was miles apart.

Many vendors added the option to improve sales, but it wasn't the prime driver.

Had a bit of time and inclination to haul this out of the cupboard today. I'd bought a 40 pin DIP chip-clip, which necessitates removal of half of the frame to get to fit with the backplane still in the chassis.

Hooked it up. This morning, solid beep for a few seconds and I captured a bunch of data; unfortunately knocked the power out of the analyzer so lost everything. Tried again, got very little more.

Replaced a tantalum capacitor that was cracked but that didn't improve things. One new behavior, white noise static from the speaker and some trash on the screen (nothing sane, just looks like the sync lines went funny) and now it's pretty much dead again.

It would help if I knew what it was actually supposed to do...
    From what I can tell, beep until a disk is inserted. However, it's become more and more random as time goes by.

Phil

I had a thought earlier. After a frustrating day of broken stuff, I decided to put the CPU card into the freezer for a few minutes then fire up the Lanier.

I was greeted by a long (somewhat crackly) beep and the screen woke up and displayed junk!

Definitely some bad silicon. I've got 4 8216 bus transceivers (AES must have recognized them as an issue because they're socketed) which are possible culprits. I'll grab some freeze spray and start doing individual IC's, I think. Get it nice and warm then cool them off and see if any make a marked difference like freezing the board did.

Phil

Agh, frustrating. In the house move I've lost the spare RAM I had for this. I'm pretty sure I had put it in a bag, a padded anti static envelope, and tucked it inside the Lanier.

I'm beginning to think I took it out so I could work on it and it it some place safe, then it got split up when we moved.

Not happy, that's a lot of steps to trace backwards over several years. My memory isn't what it once was.

Phil