Image Map Image Map
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: Lanier Model 103 "No Problem" word processor

Blog Entries

Anchor doesn't put its entire inventory online. Look to the "Price List" for a PDF of their paper catalog.

I see this now. I think what I'll do is buy a handful of them from Anchor and replace as required. The heat sinks should help, the air flow around that board is reasonable. It's not going to be a high-hours machine.

Placed an order for most of the chipset from Anchor. Orville was most pleasant and very helpful.

Hopefully the bits will be here soon and I can try again.

Phil

Blog Entries

I am really enjoying reading this. I wish you the best of luck.
    = Excellent space heater

Thanks. It's been dragging on long enough, in and out of storage as I get enthusiasm/money/insight/information (delete as applicable) for it.

The goal here is to get to a stage where it does what it's meant to without discs, then try and get some discs...

Phil

Okay, so I replaced the bus transceivers. That got me a result: less than before. No beep, nothing.

Replaced the rest of the chipset, same deal.

Checked the clock generator as it does get hot.

20180712_212527.jpg

Phase 1 and 2 as pulled up from the pins on the 8080.

Pulled the RAM. Same result, video card init with trash on the screen.

20180712_215713.jpg

So, I put the board in the freezer.

20180712_202336.jpg

Crackling beep but no organized nonsense on the screen like last time. Argh. I'm trying to be positive. I know at least it's not the bits I changed and now I have spares. Back to the board again.

Phil

Interesting read! I got my own model 103 today, so I'm all over the internet checking checking. The bad news is that mine won't boot, the good news is that the woman selling this said she had the disks that came with it. She just didn't know where they were.. They were cleaning out the house so fingers crossed they find them then. Before I open the thing up to see how it's inside, how do you discharge the CRT?

Attaching picture of my model, it's the canadian branded 103
    20190905_201019.jpg

-Bjørn

Quote Originally Posted by bjorneven View Post
    Interesting read! I got my own model 103 today, so I'm all over the internet checking checking. The bad news is that mine won't boot, the good news is that the woman selling this said she had the disks that came with it. She just didn't know where they were.. They were cleaning out the house so fingers crossed they find them then. Before I open the thing up to see how it's inside, how do you discharge the CRT?

Attaching picture of my model, it's the canadian branded 103
    20190905_201019.jpg

-Bjørn
    I was an AES - Lanier word processing tech in the early 80's.
    I used a giant screwdriver and one arm behind my back and would pop the CRT connector off.
    Still to this day when working around voltage put my free arm behond me. After you get a jolt across your chest, you never forget, lol