Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QIC Tape Cartridge Belt Replacement - YouTube Video

Default QIC Tape Cartridge Belt Replacement - YouTube Video

Inspired largely by Al Kossow's QIC tape cartridge reading & restoration work, his instructional write-up on classiccmp, and emails he has sent me personally on the subject, I have created an instructional video on a way to replace a QIC tape cartridge belt or tension band.

http://youtu.be/70PDHfdbsvY

I missed a few of the finer points discussed in all 8 messages of this classiccmp thread, but I think I touched on some of them.

I welcome your critiques and comments, as I know many of you here have far more experience with these cartridges than I do.

I hope it adds value, and I hope I don't ramble on too much...

Thanks everyone!
    -AJ
    Last edited by firebirdta84; March 4th, 2015 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks for this! I wish there was a place to purchase replacement bands without using one from a different cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
    Thanks for this! I wish there was a place to purchase replacement bands without using one from a different cartridge.
    Thanks for the encouragement, Doug G. Yes, I wish for the same thing. I'm investigating other options, as I now have acquired quite a few DC300 and DC600 cartridges that could use this belt replacement.

The next best option is to just keep re-using the good bands, moving them from tape to tape after either each successful read. Of course, that is ideal. Many tapes will not have successful reads.

I just created an update video on my methods for QIC Tape Cartridge Belt Replacement

https://youtu.be/Ku1lKY-2mGs

Again, this has all been inspired by the things I have learned from reading all of your comments here and at classiccmp

Another H/T to Al K!

I wonder if that "rubber rejuvinator" stuff would help:

http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-R.../dp/B008O9X3KS

I'd obviously try it on a cartridge that has no value in case it doesn't work for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    I wonder if that "rubber rejuvinator" stuff would help:
    No. The belts are plastic and they dry out and become brittle. They also stretch out over time.
    The closest substitute are non-rubber "elastibands" that are replacement for rubber bands, but
    they aren't quite the right thickness and they slip off of the reels. As a practical matter, NOS
    DC-6150 and later bands have survived better than the ones in earlier tapes, which were made
    back to the 70's, and it is easier just to reuse them.

Blog Entries

Polyurethane. The way the tech (who remembered how it was done) at Imation said that they were basically punched out as rings from a sheet of poly, then a special machine would "flip" them and apply them to the cartridge. He thought that the QA lab might still have a manual version of the machine, but he turned up nothing--so it's probably history.

One thing about the belts and/or elastibands. You can shrink them a bit by boiling them in water for a minute or two. The other thing is to use an older drive to do the reading if possible. The newer SLT drives are a lot faster and can foul easier.

Plastibands are cut of strips of polyurethane and then have the ends bonded to form a loop, which is why they're not all that great. But I've gotten them to work on occasion. The optimum solution would be to duplicate the original process and have a die punch out rings of sheet poly.

Huummmm ......
    I asking myself : A die, that size, would not be easily manufactured.
    What about LASER cutting ( it ) from a polyurethane sheet ??
    Is polyurethane Laser cut possible ??

Blog Entries

Yes. Get a big dust collector.

But why would a die not be easily manufactured?
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Polyurethane. The way the tech (who remembered how it was done) at Imation said that they were basically punched out as rings from a sheet of poly, then a special machine would "flip" them and apply them to the cartridge. He thought that the QA lab might still have a manual version of the machine, but he turned up nothing--so it's probably history.
    Chuck(G), thank you for your correction, PU instead of PVC. It was you I was referring to in the video, and I linked a post you made on this forum right below the video, telling this exact story a few months back.

I appreciate this discussion, guys...thanks!

-AJ