Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: QIC Tape Cartridge Belt Replacement - YouTube Video

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Polyurethane. The way the tech (who remembered how it was done) at Imation said that they were basically punched out as rings from a sheet of poly, then a special machine would "flip" them and apply them to the cartridge. He thought that the QA lab might still have a manual version of the machine, but he turned up nothing--so it's probably history.
    Hello Chuck, and all,
    Can you elaborate on this, please.
    I think I understand what you mean by "flip" but I do not understand why a machine was required.
    Was there any heating or something like that involved ??
    Or was it "simply" automated mounting of the belt on the cartridge ??

BTW, someone has the dimensional for these belts ??
    I would be curious, ** IF ** I found a right PU sheet, do ask my daughter to try Laser cutting one or two ....

Blog Entries

By "flip" I mean change from an annulus to a cylinder. According to the guy at Imation, it's not possible to do this unaided by a special jig. I don't know if that's true or not, but he was firmly of that opinion.

Blog Entries

Please be careful laser cutting that stuff.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Well, I don't know about the inner or outer diameter of the original "ring" cut from a Polyurethane Sheet, but I did just measure the thickness on a few of these with a micrometer, and I'm getting .003 inch, and the "width", now that the ring has been turned into a cylinder, is around .155 inch (5/32")

I suppose, based on measuring the "resting" position of a band in good condition, we could guess as to the original approximate diameter of the ring that later became the cylindrical band, and use a cutting tool of some kind to punch out the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    ....change from an annulus to a cylinder. According to the guy at Imation, it's not possible to do this unaided by a special jig.
    Well, I think that's fascinating, Chuck(G), and I am so glad that you were able to capture that bit of information back in the day, and share it with those of us contemplating creating these bands for ourselves.

So I, for one, at this point, would be comfortable experimenting with a sheet of PU of that thickness, that would seem to have the same malleability as one of the good bands that I've stolen from 3M DC6150 cartridges, and try punching out various sizes just for fun. Heck, I could just use a compass, draw 2 concentric circles about .15 inch difference in diameter, and cut it out with scissors, just for fun. Then try to wrap it around some of my disposable test tapes by hand, like I demonstrate in the videos, and do some tests with them.

I'm certain the precision wouldn't be anywhere near what Imation or 3M intended back in the day when the engineers designed these, but it might work well enough to get 20 or so passes on a QIC tape safely, in order to read the data, or at least capture the magnetic flux transition pulses. It's worth a try.

Does anyone else here have any thoughts on this?

Has anyone explored any sources for PU sheets like this?

According to the site at http://www.uspackagingandwrapping.co...ion-Chart.html , the thickness I'm measuring could be classified as a 30-gauge material.

Just thinking out loud, I guess. I'll update everyone here if I actually pursue anything like this.

For what it's worth, I'm still buying DC6150 cartridges and robbing the bands out of them. I feel bad robbing all of those vintage, unused and well-preserved cartridges. I am saving the rest of the cartridge, though, in case we solve this band-shortage problem, and then they can all be made usable again.

Thanks for the discussion, all!
    -AJ
    http://MightyFrame.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Please be careful laser cutting that stuff.
    @KC9UDX :

Thanks for the advice.
    Sure, we will, my daugther and I, if we happend to try cutting some stuff

Well, being on the other side of the pond, it is not easy for me to cooperate on this.
    BUT, if one find the right PU sheet, and agree to send a sample
    I am willing to try laser cutting and send back samples.
    ( Right now, I have NOT a tape unit in a "good enought" working state as to "usefully certify" the result on it. )