Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Zenith computer is this?

Default What Zenith computer is this?

The plate is marked ZDF-1217-DY but I can't pull up any information on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gribnitz; March 8th, 2015 at 02:34 PM. Reason: add picture

Blog Entries

Could you take pictures of the interior? I think it is a XT clone from 1988 but my information could be wrong.

Can you tell us anything else about the machine such as CPU, internal slot configuration, drives, etc?

It seems to me that the early spectrum of Zenith PC compatible clones is poorly documented.

Here are some more pictures. It is running DOS 6.22.

100_7636.jpg100_7637.jpg100_7641.jpg100_7643.jpg

I have an identical looking model, it's a Zenith XT clone with an 8088. Sadly mine has a RAM fault so apart from the cool LEDs lighting inside, I can't do much with mine

It's one of the Zenith backplane systems. The CPU and RAM are on the extra tall cards. Pull them out and look for part numbers on them.

Zenith 158. I used to maintain them as a computer services work-study in college... as stated above, it's a backplane based XT clone. Pages 9 through 12 of this brochure: http://www.thecomputerarchive.com/ar...20desktops.pdf

We had added 720k 3.5 drives to ours in the computer labs. We removed all the hard drives (used them for spares for the faculty's systems) and used NI5210 NICs with Novell boot roms, booting them across the network. It also made it easier to provide a consistent environment. Mainly used for Wordperfect 5.1 / Microsoft Works classes, and running NCSA telnet to access the VAX cluster... this was in 1991-1993.

Quote Originally Posted by HoJoPo View Post
    We removed all the hard drives (used them for spares for the faculty's systems) and used NI5210 NICs with Novell boot roms, booting them across the network.
    Damn that brings back some memories for me. I used to do some work at a school that had about 25 computers in the classrooms, all with Novell boot roms and no floppy/hdd at all. It was (as you mentioned) the easiest way to have a consistent working environment that you could install new software on without walking around to every single computer. Similar time as well, from the late 80's through to about 94-95 when Windows 95 came out.

Quote Originally Posted by HoJoPo View Post
    Zenith 158. I used to maintain them as a computer services work-study in college... as stated above, it's a backplane based XT clone. Pages 9 through 12 of this brochure
    Excellent! Thanks all. This is a keeper. I have 3 IBM XT's, but this is the first Zenith XT Clone like this I have seen.

Do you know how to tell the differences in the Z-150 series? I can also say it's in that series but I don't know all the different models, I thought it looked like a Z-150/151 to me.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800