Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where Can I purchase a Tandy 1000 EX RAM Board (Plus Board) ?

A secure undisclosed location in the Mojave Desert, CA

I sold one a few months ago and the final bid was $108. That price isn't too outrageous, but you could do a lot better with some patience.

The internal RAM is in sockets, so I wonder if it's possible to populate the mainboard with higher capacity chips. Sure, you'd lose DMA, but if you just want the expanded memory capacity it could be a better option.

I plan on trying to reverse engineer the ROM (to upgrade the software) so I might as well swap in some 64k DIP RAM and see if it recognizes it.
    Last edited by 68k; March 18th, 2015 at 04:55 PM.

A secure undisclosed location in the Mojave Desert, CA

I have an EMS board for the EX/HX, and if it will help I could get some information on it for you.

You mind snapping a pic of the board where I can read the chip #s?

ISA sockets are still available, maybe I could make a riser card for it by mounting pin header (/socket) via card-edge, as do the IDE-to-CF adapters on eBay. Need a sketch showing exact dimensions, clearances, and header placement if there is interest in such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pearce_jj View Post
    ISA sockets are still available, maybe I could make a riser card for it by mounting pin header (/socket) via card-edge, as do the IDE-to-CF adapters on eBay. Need a sketch showing exact dimensions, clearances, and header placement if there is interest in such a thing.
    Please send me a PM with what you need and i'll get that information. I have an HX.

What do most people want for their PLUS slots these days? I would suggest a RAM/DMA card, a serial card (maybe with two ports) and a hard drive interface. That is three slots for three cards. Except for the first, there is no reason why an ultimate combo would need to conform to Tandy's arrangement.
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

That being said, how much could one cram on one of those boards? I could see a clock, dma, with serial and parallel done via headers, with a hard drive connector, sure it would look ugly with the cables out the back, but it i have seen super io boards that small. that's one slot. A ram board with ems add-on, that's a second board. For the third, i'd make an 8-bit network board for it.
    JOZXYQK[/B][/B]

It would be awesome to see such a card created! Is the extra-long connector required for even the bottom slot? Been a while since I looked in the one I have...and not sure I've ever looked in one that was populated...mine doesn't have the RAM card either.

While it would be awesome to have that huge list of features in a card, we probably should be reasonable in our dreams...at least in the beginning. Personally, the RAM and XT-IDE are the big ones...not sure if the DMA is needed or really helpful if you don't have other cards?

You guys are giving me a glimmer of hope for my EX!

Thanks,

Wesley

Sunnking has one for sale... price is a bit steep but consistent with its original price in 1986:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tandy-1000-E...item2c98a076a8

25-1062 was $129.95 in 1987, yeah I'd pay $164 now rather than wait around for months possibly year before another comes along.

Ian.
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is