Image Map Image Map
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Aligning Floppy Drives

Quote Originally Posted by Novell2NT View Post
    Dwight,

It looks like my Amplitude test was not done correctly or completed at all. But I could use a little help with it.

The test calls for the same scope settings, and it asked me to go to track 34. I did this, but with the Alignment disk in, that is the signal that I was getting. This signal was not asked for.
    What I should have done, was put a blank disk in then go to track 34 and write the entire track with all 1's.
    That is were I am a little stuck, with the utility that I am using and my very basic knowledge of tracks and sectors.

This is the utility that I am using on my SOL-20 with NorthStar DD controller.
    Attachment 55683

It appears that I need to store the correct number of 1's (256?) in an open space of memory, before booting to CP/M (Unless there is a CP/M utility that allows me to enter data into memory and view it)
    It also appears that I would have to do this for each Sector one at a time, to fill the entire track?
    I think the intent is to connect a pulse generator to the drive and write a constant signal. Still writing sectors should be OK. It has been a long time but I believe there is a debugger to edit memory. There is usually a move command that will overlap in one direction such that it can be used to duplicate a value. If not, it is a simple program to write in assembly to fill memory with FFs.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    I think the intent is to connect a pulse generator to the drive and write a constant signal. Still writing sectors should be OK. It has been a long time but I believe there is a debugger to edit memory. There is usually a move command that will overlap in one direction such that it can be used to duplicate a value. If not, it is a simple program to write in assembly to fill memory with FFs.
    Dwight
    Ok, let's try to work with the little bit of knowledge that I do have.

Before I boot CP/M I can (EN) Enter 01 from 2000 to 2100. Is 256 bytes correct for each sector of Track 34?
    (I may only need to put the 01 at address 2000, and the WS command fills the entire sector with what is at address 2000.)

If that is correct, I can use WS 0 2000.
    I am really not sure here, but I am guessing that would fill sector 0 with the information I stored at memory address 2000.
    Then I would have to do the same for sectors 1-9, to fill the entire track 34?

That sounds right. 256 is the right size for double density. 128 would be single. Not knowing which version of controller you have I can only assume you already know it is 256.
    Dwight

North Star MDS AD3

You may not be familiar with the NODDEXER.com exerciser, but looking at it, would you say that I should use the WS 0 - 9 2000, to fill the entire track, with 01's?

NODDEXER.jpg

Oops, it is 256 for single density and 512 for double density. I don't see anything on the menu for setting density. The AD3 can do both. For a uniform tone, you'd want to do single density.
    Dwight