Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEC Powermate SX stuck at 8Mhz with a 386SX-16

Here is the CMOS setup program for the NEC PowerMate SX/16. I am not sure if it will work with other models.

http://www.amstereo.org/files/necsetup.zip

I too have received a PowerMate SX/16. CMOS will not save settings so I suspect DALLAS battery is dead, in which case HDD cannot be configured. It has Seagate ST-1102A 89MB HDD. However, I am seeking proprietary RAM expansion board for this model. I expect it is difficult to find, much like the PS/1 RAM modules.

Blog Entries

Depends on what model PS/1 you are talking about....
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Depends on what model PS/1 you are talking about....
    The model 2121, for example.

If you don't have NEC's proprietary RAM expansion board, then you can use an ISA card to add extra RAM, albeit with a performance penalty of going through the ISA bus.

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    Here is the CMOS setup program for the NEC PowerMate SX/16. I am not sure if it will work with other models.

http://www.amstereo.org/files/necsetup.zip
    Resurrecting a very old post, but haven't found this information anywhere else. The specified link is long gone, but does anyone have the CMOS setup program for the NEC PowerMate SX/16? System works fine at the moment, but want to be prepared when the inevitable happens.

Also, I haven't had any luck getting the built-in mouse port to work. I did set the mobo switch to enable the mouse input, and I'm using a standard Microsoft 2-button PS/2 mouse. Mouse input is simply ignored. (And yes, I've verified it's a working mouse on another system.)
    “The Bex religious impulse does have its collective side. As in, collect everything and hold on to it whether you remember where it came from or not.”
    —Alberto Fossa, Privateer 2

Never mind on the mouse question. Finally realized I was using was the Logitech mouse driver. Switched to Microsoft Mouse driver, and Microsoft mouse works fine in the built-in port. (Duh!)

Yay! Now I can play games like this on the NEC:
    688.jpg

Do still need to find the CMOS setup disks, though. If anyone has them archived away or can point me to them is greatly appreciated.

My specimen is specifically an NEC PowerMate SX Plus, 386/16Mhz, model# PM-80-122X.
    The Ctrl +/- does not work to toggle the CPU speed. The NEC DOS diskette has a Turbo.exe utility. To toggle between 8 & 16 Mhz, use "Turbo +" or "Turbo -" at the DOS command prompt.
    “The Bex religious impulse does have its collective side. As in, collect everything and hold on to it whether you remember where it came from or not.”

Quote Originally Posted by normanator View Post
    The specified link is long gone, but does anyone have the CMOS setup program for the NEC PowerMate SX/16?
    See the 'Setups' section of [here].

Awesome! Every time I think I've seen everything on minuszerodegrees.net, there's still another door I haven't opened.

Many thanks.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    See the 'Setups' section of [here].
    I might need one for an SX Plus. so far as I know, the BIOS may or may not be the same. I'll be trying out the one for the SX/16 later on with the Plus and report back.
    it doesn't seem like the floppy drive in mine works, nor the IDE card, since the Plus doesn't have one inbuilt. the one it came with is a JPN CA8390, and according to Stason, the jumper settings are correct. I just replaced all th 16v 22uF caps on it so I'll see if that fixes it up.

PSA: the NEC FTP site went down somewhere around the middle of July and I don't think it's coming back.
    anyone that has any drivers/utilities or BIOS files etc. for NEC x86 machines are advised to upload what you can to archive.org or the like.