Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint Color for PC/XT case ??

Default Paint Color for PC/XT case ??

Hi,
    I have a PC case with several small area that were rusted. I used a rust removal pink jell, and all is well. But those spots are still there and are discolored. The texture is fine.
    I read that others have gone to the extreme lengths and spending several hundred dollars to get a paint match and respray from Auto paint shops. That is a bit much for my limited hobby budget. And my machine is not going to be spending time outside in the elements. So a hard costing like that seems like overkill to me.
    Anyone have any luck from a spray can from Lowe's or Home Depot, other?
    Thanks
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

Spray cans will do a great job, the hardest thing is matching the color. I recently painted some Apple II drive housings after I sanded off some engraving. I took the housing along with me to the hardware store and got the closest color I could find. Result turned out really well and was very cheap.
    My collection: http://tkc8800.com

The color is the easy part. Per this link:

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtop...?f=7&t=1129978

IBM used a color called Pantone 413.

I have found that getting the right pebble texture is more of a challenge but if your rust removal process didn't disturb the original texture you should be able to just spray over it.

Was the case originally powder coated?

You can achieve similar results for texture with the "marbled" and other texture-finish paints from hardware stores. They usually come in odd shades like "olive fern greenish" and "brick tomato red", but that could then be painted over, at a push, with a matched color.

I don't know what they used to create the pebbled finish in the paint, tbh. I've just painted things with those type of garden-chair paint and noticed a distinct similarity in texture.

YMMV

--Phil

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

If I had to guess, on some cases (not necessarily IBM), the paint was allowed to dry to the point that it was tacky, then something was laid on top of it, then pulled off. It seems that way in some cases (no pun intended). But more then likely they used a spray gun that was made to spit causing that final coat to have a gravelly texture. Or perhaps a combination of both of the above.
    In theory you can match any color. It's tedious though. I happen to like Rustoleum, have nearly every color they make (which isn't that many). But it dries too glossy. I think you can (don't quote me) dull it some with Japan drier or something. It might make as much sense if you're trying to perfectly duplicate a color is to start off w/dry pigments. Don't ask me where to find them (other then an art store, expensive likely).
    If you're not going to spray w/a professional gun, your results may be mixed from a spray can. I'm not particularly that good w/a spray can, but I can do an ok job. Another method is to thin the paint (with paint thinner) to the consistency of milk nearly. Then apply it with a foam brush (a roller is likely to produce more bubbles, but they're difficult to avoid). Since the paint is so thin, imperfection tend to blend away (w/o touching it). Then you do multiple coats, sanding in between w/a fine grit wet/dry sand paper (400? 600?). The stuff they use for autos is ideal, can be had at Walmart. And wet the paper well (water) and go over it gently at first, in a circular fashion, circles on the tight side. This will allow successive coats to stick better.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

love your avatar tkc8800. Ticked I never thought of using a test pattern!!!

Blog Entries

If the spots are small and there is only a few, you could also consider using a "touch up paint" rather than painting the entire thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    love your avatar tkc8800. Ticked I never thought of using a test pattern!!!
    Thanks. Yes, that picture appealed to me when I saw it.
    My collection: http://tkc8800.com

Gonna open up this thread again and ask if anyone knows the code for the grey that matches the Pantone 413. Google has not been useful