Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Digitally Archiving Ultima (IBM-PC). Anyone know versions and timestamps?

  1. #1

    Default Digitally Archiving Ultima (IBM-PC). Anyone know versions and timestamps?

    I知 using a KryoFlux device to digitally archive unmodified disks and I知 currently working on the first two trilogies. I知 only doing original first releases and attempting to date them even if it痴 at least approximately.

    • I知 working on Ultima 1 and I知 reading that it was ported to PC in 1986, but the earliest timestamp I can find is 12/31/87. Does anyone know of an earlier version? If it helps, Ultima.exe is timestamped 12/29/87.
    • I have a perfect backup of Ultima V that is timestamped 06-24-88. Can I get a confirmation that this is the original release?
    • Ultima VI appears to have been shipped out on 03-20-90 and earliest purchase I can find occurred in Rochester NY on 03-23-90. Unfortunately, the earliest version I can find is dated 03-27-90. I know it was a very buggy release so I imagine they quickly switched to new master disks. Can anyone confirm an earlier release for this game? I could really use file lists w/ time stamps for each disk if possible. (If someone has a special edition, I would imagine that would definitely be an original release)

      Another thing I noticed, is that Disks 2 and 6 appear to be modified on every copy I致e purchased. Does it save by overwriting files on these disks or am I just unlucky?

  2. #2

    Default

    I'm running the PC Preservation Project and was running into the same problem in the beginning. Release, development and copyright years almost never match. Because of that, I just switched to using the year in that that version of the game was compiled. So all I do now is to find the newest file and use that year.

  3. #3

    Default

    Tell me about it. I've been using newsgroups (groups.google.com), warez NFO releases, web.archive.org and google in general to try and confirm release dates. These are just some of what I have so far confirmed, but they're all U.S.

    if you're interested
    https://justpaste.it/k8j5 - Links to right are references

    My methods fall flat on anything pre-1990 though which includes most of the games that actually do need backed up before they're gone.

  4. #4

    Default

    >I’m working on Ultima 1 and I’m reading that it was ported to PC in “1986”, but the earliest timestamp I can find is 12/31/87. Does anyone know of an earlier version? If it helps, Ultima.exe
    >is timestamped 12/29/87.

    I guess this must be from Ultima I (Within Ultima Trilogy) not from original release for IBM/Tandy.

    >I have a perfect backup of Ultima V that is timestamped 06-24-88. Can I get a confirmation that this is the original release?

    Yes, it must be original release.
    I have 3.5" dumped image by TC, too.
    Last edited by fs5500; April 1st, 2015 at 01:12 PM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fs5500 View Post
    >I知 working on Ultima 1 and I知 reading that it was ported to PC in 1986, but the earliest timestamp I can find is 12/31/87. Does anyone know of an earlier version? If it helps, Ultima.exe
    >is timestamped 12/29/87.

    I guess this must be from Ultima I (Within Ultima Trilogy) not from original release for IBM/Tandy.
    Yeah, you're right it was. I just got my hands on an original box this week and right now the date looks to be
    ultima.exe 09/13/87 1:14:36 PM

    It's harder to date this though because I'm looking at http://www.ultimacollectors.info/news.htm and there only appears to be the one release.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by comradesean View Post
    Yeah, you're right it was. I just got my hands on an original box this week and right now the date looks to be
    ultima.exe 09/13/87 1:14:36 PM

    It's harder to date this though because I'm looking at http://www.ultimacollectors.info/news.htm and there only appears to be the one release.
    Cool.

    If you can dump it (Ultima I original IBMP ) by Teledisk or Kryoflux, thanks.

  7. #7

    Default

    Still don't have permissions to PM yet. Ran into a small problem with the KryoFlux dump. Apparently something wrote to Track 0 which might be a virus or antivirus or something. Rest of disk is fine though.

    Want to update:

    I have
    Ultima I - 09-13-87 (Only track 0 modified)
    Ultima IV - 09-19-87 (Disk A is a perfect image, Disk B was ruined by previous owner saving to it)
    Ultima V - 06-24-88 (This is a perfect dump)

    I'll share anything that's a perfect dump. If someone can help me with my modified disks, I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by comradesean; April 4th, 2015 at 11:55 PM.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by comradesean View Post
    Still don't have permissions to PM yet. Ran into a small problem with the KryoFlux dump. Apparently something wrote to Track 0 which might be a virus or antivirus or something. Rest of disk is fine though.

    Want to update:

    I have
    Ultima I - 09-13-87 (Only track 0 modified)
    Ultima IV - 09-19-87 (Disk A is a perfect image, Disk B was ruined by previous owner saving to it)
    Ultima V - 06-24-88 (This is a perfect dump)

    I'll share anything that's a perfect dump. If someone can help me with my modified disks, I'd appreciate it.
    I can fix the problem.
    Also I have non modified disk of Ultima IV (Disk 2 is also factory default withour saving.)

  9. Default

    Ultima VI appears to have been shipped out on 03-20-90 and earliest purchase I can find occurred in Rochester NY on 03-23-90. Unfortunately, the earliest version I can find is dated 03-27-90. I know it was a very buggy release so I imagine they quickly switched to new master disks. Can anyone confirm an earlier release for this game?
    My GAME.EXE is indeed dated 03/27/90 (version number 3.2), but it came with a letter indicating that this was a replacement disk, which confirms that an earlier version exists.
    I知 currently working on the first two trilogies.
    You will have a lot of joy tracking down early releases of Ultima II and III.
    I have a perfect backup of Ultima V that is timestamped 06-24-88. Can I get a confirmation that this is the original release?
    It's the earliest I have as well, but its version number (Ctrl+V) is 1.14.
    Apparently something wrote to Track 0 which might be a virus or antivirus or something.
    Might have been the Windows 95 volume tracker --- a mind-numbingly moronic scheme of Windows 95 that writes to a floppy disk's boot sector even when just reading its directory,

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fs5500 View Post
    I can fix the problem.
    Also I have non modified disk of Ultima IV (Disk 2 is also factory default withour saving.)
    What kind of disk image is your disk 2? And could I talk you into sharing it with me?


    Quote Originally Posted by NewRisingSun View Post
    My GAME.EXE is indeed dated 03/27/90 (version number 3.2), but it came with a letter indicating that this was a replacement disk, which confirms that an earlier version exists.
    You will have a lot of joy tracking down early releases of Ultima II and III.
    It's the earliest I have as well, but its version number (Ctrl+V) is 1.14.
    Might have been the Windows 95 volume tracker --- a mind-numbingly moronic scheme of Windows 95 that writes to a floppy disk's boot sector even when just reading its directory,
    FS5500 helped me resolve the U6 version issue in another thread. I just need to track down the disks now.

    Ultima V seems to be unanimous, but I'm actually thinking about reaching out to Garriot himself soon. Not sure how much that would help, but I heard he's very vocal with the community on twitter at least.

    Also yeah, UII and UIII are just gonna be a waiting game. I'm looking for other games in the meantime, but it's an expensive hobby and I'm not rich so it's not going to be a huge preservation project unless anyone else with a KryoFlux wants to share some streams.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •