Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digitally Archiving Ultima (IBM-PC). Anyone know versions and timestamps?

>What kind of disk image is your disk 2? And could I talk you into sharing it with me?

First, you must allow the PM. If not possible, you can send PM on Vogon.
    My disk 2 is not modified. (Original factory default) I can share it if you need.
    Also I know Ultima IV/V exists as 2 revisions. (Second is from Ultima Trilogy II)

I also have full package of Ultima III / IV / V. (VI -- Only disks, VII -- Only disk image.)

By the way, I'm seaching for the following dsk image from Origin.

Tangled Tales (4EA disks) (No copy protection)
    Windwalker (3EA disks) (No copy protection) <-- I have disk image, but need verification (I'm sure disk image is not modified.)
    Ogre (Original Release)
    Ultima I (Original Release for IBM)

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fs5500
    Also I know Ultima IV/V exists as 2 revisions. (Second is from Ultima Trilogy II)
    There must be at least three revisions of Ultima IV. Comradesean wrote that his is 09/19/87, whereas my two ones are 10/10/87 and 11/10/87, the latter from the Ultima IV-VI collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by comradesean
    Ultima V seems to be unanimous, but I'm actually thinking about reaching out to Garriot himself soon. Not sure how much that would help, but I heard he's very vocal with the community on twitter at least.
    Yes, please try, although I would not expect that he remembers such details as which version number was the first version sold of a PC port of an Apple II game.
    Quote Originally Posted by comradesean
    Also yeah, UII and UIII are just gonna be a waiting game. I'm looking for other games in the meantime, but it's an expensive hobby and I'm not rich so it's not going to be a huge preservation project unless anyone else with a KryoFlux wants to share some streams.
    I've got quite a number of Ultima II and Ultima III images, some of them in Transcopy format only though (which I consider good enough; the additional information in a Kryoflux stream seems only relevant for strange Commodore disks that vary the data rate across the disk). The difficult thing about these early games is that they have space reserved for the DOS system files and instruct the user to remove the write-protect tab, transfer the DOS system files to the disk using the SYS command, then replace the write-protect tab, so that the disk becomes self-booting. Most people did that, which is why it's difficult to find a truly pristine disk. (My first release of Ultima II is one.)
    Last edited by NewRisingSun; April 5th, 2015 at 12:19 PM.

It's been a couple months, but I have a few updates and a question.

In regards to the 1983 Ultima II Sierra release I managed to get my hands on the Program and Player disk and made flawless KryoFlux Streams of them. I also have a copy of the Galactic disk provided by a generous member, but it's reporting a bad track. (though inconsequential as it was a empty track)

I've also managed to track down a copy of the speech add-on pack for ultima VIII, but DTC's modification check isn't working. If anyone can compare checksums with me, I'd appreciate it as I have been unable to find images anywhere.
    (timestamped 03/02/94)
    Disk 1 - 25c2ef7d
    Disk 2 - de6b59fb
    Disk 3 - d2753d16

Also, I've found this sealed copy of Ultima III which is clearly a later release, but I'm unsure of how much later. I'm unable to find any information on it. It's published by Broderbund and the sticker says it's double sided. I'm guessing that means this isn't a flippy disk? (I know a flippy is double-sided, but eh?)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealed-New-E...16.m2516.l5255
    Last edited by comradesean; June 1st, 2015 at 09:12 PM.

>It's been a couple months, but I have a few updates and a question.

>In regards to the 1983 Ultima II Sierra release I managed to get my hands on the Program and Player disk and made flawless KryoFlux Streams of them. I also have a copy of the >Galactic disk provided by a generous member, but it's reporting a bad track. (though inconsequential as it was a empty track)

I have proper image (no bad) of it.

Did anyone create the disk images via kryoflux? I have the original atari/c64 disks but not the IBM ones. I would love a copy of the image files to create my own disks. Thanks,