Image Map Image Map

Thread: [FOR AUCTION - not mine] IBM 5150 complete system except the printer ends 4/10

Default [FOR AUCTION - not mine] IBM 5150 complete system except the printer ends 4/10

Hi All,

EBay item number 231523054220 is a complete 5150 system with a hard drive that is claimed to be in working condition. It comes with DOS 2.1, diagnostics, "Exploring the Personal Computer", and DOS version 5.0 - probably on 360K disks but it would be better to ask and make sure. As I write this the auction is one day old with five more to go, so we've successfully run the gantlet of first-day bidders who draw large-scale interest in an item.

I think if for no other reason, this auction is a good opportunity to try to assign a market value to the 5150. I would hasten to add that I've heard the original 63 watt power supply is not up to the task of running a hard drive. On the other hand, maybe someone has an XT and it would not be difficult to move all the parts from this computer into an IBM XT.

I item is not mine, the auction will close on the tenth of this month.

Happy bidding,
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Floppies_only View Post
    I think if for no other reason, this auction is a good opportunity to try to assign a market value to the 5150.
    I think it would have to be an average of multiple auctions, factoring in the different content of each auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Floppies_only View Post
    I would hasten to add that I've heard the original 63 watt power supply is not up to the task of running a hard drive. On the other hand, maybe someone has an XT and it would not be difficult to move all the parts from this computer into an IBM XT.
    In the 5150 of this eBay item, the 63W PSU has been upgraded to a 135W third-party unit that has power ratings on the individual voltage lines which closely matches IBM's 130W PSU (detailed [here]). This is more than adequate to support an ST-225.