Image Map Image Map

Thread: PC-DOS 7.x and RAMBOOST.

Default PC-DOS 7.x and RAMBOOST.

Hi all,

I have hopefully just resolved a long standing problem that i have had running IBM PC-DOS 7.x / 2000 and it's ram optimizer RAMBOOST. Ramboost works by dynamically re-calculating the optimum memory organization (what to load high etc) every time that config.sys or autoexec.bat are changed, so that you always have the maximum free base memory. It does this by detecting the change, going into learn mode, calculating the optimum and then rebooting again into active mode.

I have a DOS VM that I have running under VMWare player. I found that when ever I made a change to autoexec.bat / config.sys it triggered the learn mode phase, but then ramboost would stay in learn mode claiming that ramboost.ini had changed.

This seems to be related to the date, I have found that setting the date to Jan 1 1999, will allow the learn mode to complete and the machine to then boot into active mode. Once back in active mode the date can be set correctly and the machine will stay in active mode.

At a guess i would say that Ramboost probably isn't completely year 2000 complient, despite being included in PC-DOS 2000 which supposedly is

I thought I would document this here incase anyone else ran across the same problem, hopefully a web search will find the solution here.

Cheers.

Phill.

You may want to switch to a setup using UMBPCI. It appears to support VMWare without a problem and doesn't place the system into protected mode to enable UMBs. Depending on your device driver configuration, it shouldn't be too hard to hand optimize loading of device drivers. I had RAMBOOST on my first PC running PC-DOS 6.1, it wasn't all that great back in 1993 and was quickly replaced with QEMM.

I don't know if I should be resurrecting this thread but I want to confirm that changing the date to 01 Jan 19999 works.

Blog Entries

Wow, almost 18,000 years in the future! Where do you get RTC chips to hold a date like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Wow, almost 18,000 years in the future! Where do you get RTC chips to hold a date like this?
    Oops 1999

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Not all that difficult to come by in Dublin.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by prime View Post
    I have a DOS VM that I have running under VMWare player. I found that when ever I made a change to autoexec.bat / config.sys it triggered the learn mode phase, but then ramboost would stay in learn mode claiming that ramboost.ini had changed.

This seems to be related to the date, I have found that setting the date to Jan 1 1999, will allow the learn mode to complete and the machine to then boot into active mode. Once back in active mode the date can be set correctly and the machine will stay in active mode.

At a guess i would say that Ramboost probably isn't completely year 2000 complient,...
    I have been using the same DOS credit card program for nearly 30 years. Needless to say that before 2000 nothing unusual occured. With the arrival of 2000 things got flakey with regard to entering the transaction dates. But I liked the program and after trying several others that just didn't measure up I decided to stay with the original program anyway. I just started anew, in another directory, and instead of using January 1, 2000 I used January 1, 1990, etc. No problem -- the two different decades of data were in separate directories. This continued, without any issue for ten years. Then, in 2010, I got curious, again. I didn't really want to create a third working directory for the new decade's program and data if I absolutely didn't have to. So, I tried entering January 1, 2010 and... walla... it worked! And it's worked flawlessly ever since. I am still using it. I have no idea why but it seems that the y2k issue lasted for ten years but then faded into oblivion with the advent of 2010. Go figure.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prime View Post
    At a guess i would say that Ramboost probably isn't completely year 2000 complient, despite being included in PC-DOS 2000 which supposedly is
    Nice find!! I've been wondering the same thing for at least a decade.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)