Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some vintage computers (long wishlist)

Blog Entries

...and not a mention of an MCM-70 in the list. I daresay that one of those would rank pretty high in collectability and rarity.

Quote Originally Posted by achimhb View Post
    I am looking for some vintage computers. I do collect, not trade and preserve computers from 50ís to early 80ís.
    Some examples from my long wishlist:
    AIM-65
    This looks like a close to mint condition AIM-65 currently for sale on eBay in the US:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/331559115407

Current high bid is $162.50 although my guess is that it will sell for closer to 2x - 3x that amount when it ends tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    This looks like a close to mint condition AIM-65 currently for sale on eBay in the US:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/331559115407

Current high bid is $162.50 although my guess is that it will sell for closer to 2x - 3x that amount when it ends tomorrow.
    Thanks gslick. I am already watching this auction. AIM-65 I go 2 in my collection. One working without case and one not working in a case (so far).
    Your mail was useful.

This tread is some sort of inside joke, correct? No Apple 1 on the list?

I know it's OT, but I personally have been looking for some used cars:
    - Mercedes-Benz SSK
    - Ford GT-40
    - Bugatti Royale
    - Ferrari 250 GTO
    - 1953 Corvette
    - Any Rolls Royce

You know, stuff like like that….

Blog Entries

I've seen some of the computers on your wish list. Be prepared to part with a wad of Euros! None of these are cheap.
    Rick Ethridge

Blog Entries

Can we please be nice and gently dash the hopes of our new member?

For the record, the Kitchen Computer was a real thing. Someone I follow on twitter has seen it in person and she tweeted photographs.

Now personally, I'd like an S100 system that doesn't cost an arm and leg, but I've come to accept that that will probably never happen. S100 cards are expensive enough (although I could make my own...)...

The creator of the Kenbak-1 got his last spare, long considered defective, in working order some time ago (2010) and has offered it for sale on his website. However, I'm not even sure if he's alive anymore.
    Last edited by cr1901; May 25th, 2015 at 12:56 AM.
    Looking for: Needham's Electronics PB-10 Microcontroller Adapter (yes, still looking after 2 years :P).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cr1901 View Post
    For the record, the Kitchen Computer was a real thing. Someone I follow on twitter has seen it in person and she tweeted photographs.
    Oh, I don't doubt that the pedestal H316 was real (I remember it from an article in Popular Science), but there's no evidence that Nieman-Marcus (or any dealer) ever sold one. To extend @lisa2's theme, it's like trying to buy, say, the latest "concept car" from BMW. You can't--there's only one or two and not for sale.

Personally, if I were a well-heeled collector, those "animals" from the Honeywell ads would be far more interesting as a conversation piece.

For an interesting S100 system, (assuming you don't already know about them) I recommend looking into the Heathkit/Zenith H/Z-100 series (specifically, the 110 and 120 models. One had a built in monitor, the other had a separate monitor). These were 8085/8088 dual processor systems, that came usually with 2 5.25" floppy drives or one floppy and a MFM hard drive... what makes them really cool is the 5? (maybe 4, I'm tired) slot S100 backplane that they used for the expansion slots I have three of them, one found on ebay, one on craigslist, and one from a guy on youtube who sold me his. All work, though the MFM drive in the one I got on CL is dead (not a huge surprise). One of them even has a gemini IBM PC emulator card in it Anyway, I don't think I paid more than 200 dollars for any of mine, and if you watch ebay, you can usually get them in the 100-200 range when they come up. They aren't as common as a C64, but they aren't exactly rare, either. Hope I'm not preaching to the choir - but they are fascinating machines, and the documentation on them was absolutely top-notch! It's sad they never really displaced the PC - they were mostly compatable, and actually far superior machines! As well as being VERY hackable/modable.

Hi
    Just joined this forum, and can help you with some of these. I am an old-timer, working with the original Byte Shop (both Lawndale, Ca and Bellevue Wa) and have collected MANY things along the way...

I am just getting around to going through my collection, but a taste of what I have (and will need to now find a new home for -- I'm moving to a boat!):

>IMSAI 8080 with SPECIAL Clear Plexiglass cover (Byte Shop & IMSAI designed, for sales purposes-rare, I think)
    >Northstar Horizon
    >Otrona 8086
    >Processor Technology Sol-20
    >IMSAI 8046 SBC -- VERY RARE (In a Binder-Folder!)
    >Exidy all-in-one
    >Remex Tape Reader
    >FACIT 4070 tape punches
    >many S100 bds, NEW & used IC's (over 8000 at last count--DTL, TTL, CMOS-some very rare-all from 1970 on PALS, GALS, EPROM, EEPROM, UARTS, LCDs,etc, etc.
    >and MUCH MORE...

Give me a shout if you desire more info on anything -- I am in the process of making up a list now (I DON'T DO EBAY or Craigslist -- I've gotten burnt before!)

Cheers-GriffK

Hi,

Thanks for your mail and offer! Great to get in touch with you. Indeed you got some fine vintage computer I would like to own. Beside some funny answers here I got some serious offers. It was even more funny to see some answers as I already got some computers from the list I published. I will start this year my website with vintage computers I own.

To your list:
    IMSAI 8080: I got several in my collection but none with the plexiglass cover
    Northstar Horizon: Would like to have. Unbelievable it is not in my collection
    Otrona: I just know the Otrona Attache.
    SOL-20: Got a working one in my collection but would like to get one more.
    IMSAI 8046: Would need more inforamtions
    Exidy: Very interesting.
    Remex/Facit: Intersting
    S100 boards, ICís etc: Very interesting!

For all computers I would like to get pictures and to know if it is working.
    Would be good to switch to private message and exchange some pictures. You should be able to write me a PM by clicking on my name.

BTW: Moving on a boat sound exciting. Are you planing to go around by boat or just to live on it? I spend several times some weeks on a sailing boat. Great way of living.

Cheers,
    Achim