Image Map Image Map

Thread: SIMH 2.11 BSD serial terminal problem

Question SIMH 2.11 BSD serial terminal problem

Hi all,

I've temporarily suspended work on my physical 11/73 due to insufficient electronic components lying about at the moment. Instead, I decided to try to get 2.11 BSD running in SIMH since that's what I indend to run on my 11/73 anyway.

Everything has mostly gone well, except for setting up a DZ11 for 8 serial terminal users. (I can't even get 1 to work actually)

I'm following this: http://retrocmp.com/how-tos/installi...nals-and-users

I successfully built the kernel with dz11 support, I set the vector, etc correctly, everything. SIMH seems to be handling the telnet server correctly because I can telnet 8 sessions and see that they are assigned different line numbers until they run out, at which point I get a notification that all of them are busy. When it boots boot, I see:
    dz 0 csr 160100 vector 300 attached
    Which is good. It indicates that the recompiled kernel is recognizing the device.

However, there is no login prompt when I start a telnet session to the correct port, and nothing at all happens.

I can redirect output to /dev/tty0[0-7] and it appears in my telnet sessions, but I cannot read things that are typed into those sessions with things like "cat /dev/tty00".

So I am pretty sure that the problem is in BSD and not with SIMH, which is why I'm here. Does anyone have guesses as to what the problem could be?

Off the top of my head, one stupid question: Did you start multi user mode after you booted the system, or did you stay in single user mode? Did you hit Ctrl-D after booting to the single user shell?

It's been a while since I set up some real hardware with an 8-line M3107 DHQ11 but don't remember any major snags along the way to getting it to work.

Ah, good catch! Still not working, interestingly enough. I didn't see telnetd start though. Now to see how to make that start...
    Edit: It just started working! Not sure why, but It's fine now. Thanks for the quick reply!