Image Map Image Map
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: PiDP-8/I

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    I need to know How to make my PIDP 8 come up in Pidp 8 mode instead of Deep Thought mode..
    I don't know How to change it back..
    Hi Marty,

Here is an excerpt from a recent post on the PiDP-8 Forum:

The most important thing to know about that is that it is a separate program from the modified SimH+PiDP-8 simulator.
    Both need exclusive access to the front panel and switches, so you need to shut one down in order to use the other.

To switch from PDP-8 mode to Deeper Thought 2 mode:

$ sudo systemctl stop pidp8
    $ sudo systemctl start deeper

Then vice versa to switch back:

$ sudo systemctl stop deeper
    $ sudo systemctl start pidp8

I hope this helps...

smp

Hi All;

Thank You, SMP, I will try it, later and let You know..
    For Now, what I did was take out that SC Card, the one with Deeper Thought 2 and Programmed another one that I had with the PiDP 8..
    And so I just changed SD Cards, which was an easy solution..
    I will have to take it apart to change the SD Card back, and try Your Suggestion, so it may be awhile..
    But, Thank You for the Suggestion/ information..

THANK YOU Marty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smp View Post
    Hi Marty,

Here is an excerpt from a recent post on the PiDP-8 Forum:

The most important thing to know about that is that it is a separate program from the modified SimH+PiDP-8 simulator.
    Both need exclusive access to the front panel and switches, so you need to shut one down in order to use the other.

To switch from PDP-8 mode to Deeper Thought 2 mode:

$ sudo systemctl stop pidp8
    $ sudo systemctl start deeper

Then vice versa to switch back:

I hope this helps...

smp
    It's not easy. The switches have different meaning in both simulator. Very important that these two programs are not running at the same time or the system will keep booting and acting crazy. You need to be able to get to a keyboard and HDMi screen. Here is what works for me:

Assume you have your PiDP set to boot into deeper thought (what I have). I have Debian Jessie running with networking and an external screen/keyboard, I installed the pidp first, and then deeper thought 2 second. The result is that deeper thought 2 is now the "dominant" default.

To jump into the PiDP8 simH that uses the front panel , from a "deeper is running" system:

set switches to the version of PiDP8 you want (i.e. from far left 101 111 if you want OS/8...)

$ sudo ./pdp.sh

When you reboot (to go back into deeper thought) be sure to set Sing Step and Sing Inst UP and start and stop UP.

I am going to guess that my directions do not work for everyone. The disable command is not the same thing as stop! Only use disable / enable if you want to change which of the two you boot into. Make sure the one you don't want is turned off first, then turn on the one you do want.

Bill
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213