Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Model II,12,16,16B,6000 8" to 5.25 Inch floppy adapter cable 50 pin to 34 pin

Default Model II,12,16,16B,6000 8" to 5.25 Inch floppy adapter cable 50 pin to 34 pin

Ok does anyone have a good reference on how to build one of these. I look at Frank Dudra's guide but it confuses me. Yes I am mentally challenged sometimes ok most of the time Anyway if you successfully built one I would like to know which guide you used. Oh and I need the 5.25 to work with the 8" so I can copy files back and forth.

Many Thanks
    Last edited by Chromedome45; July 4th, 2015 at 07:27 PM.
    *FrankG*

I haven't tried the 5.25" drive approach yet. I'm thinking of trying to hook up my Lotharek emulator. Maybe I should look into making an adapter board? I wonder how hard it would be to rig things so it's easy to let either the 8" or 5.25"/emulated drive take over boot duty, with a switch?

I tried this and didn't get too far.

My board connects to the external drive port on the M II and the terminator plugs into it. It's wired pretty well per Frank's page and all continuity tested but with it plugged in and the terminator connected, the machine fails to boot from Drive 0.

All's not lost though. I also have a 50 way edge connector on a piece of Veroboard with header pins. Using this I was able to experiment with jumper wires and a 34 way ribbon cable and I managed to get a PC to write to the 8" drive using IMGDISK. However, this cable is not reversible; it doesn't work when conneting a 5.25" floppy to the MII interface. No idea why, and I gave up soon after because I got pretty frustrated with it. Oh, the HxC doesn't work with it, either.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...ot-floppy-disk is the thread where the cable is discussed (wiring and picture on page 2).
    http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...ive-terminator is the thread where I am asking about the terminator and talking about the board.

You'll note that the people who succeeded only managed it because they have the later FDC boards with 34 way headers on them, so I don't see a 50->34 way solution for those of us that don't.

I'm sorry I don't have anything better to offer at the moment. There must be a way!
    Last edited by JonB; July 5th, 2015 at 01:00 AM.

All I can say is look over your work carefully. I made one several years ago and do all my installs using an external 5 1/4 drive.It does work.

I also tried Dave's method here: http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img54306/cnct.htm

Or go to DBit and get one of their FDAPs

Yes, my cable is like Dave's method. But the OP wants to connect a 5.25" drive to his Model II, not the other way round (8" drive connected to a PC).

My experience was that DD's approach only works one way, PC -> 8" drive connector, but not 9" drive connector (on MII FDC card) -> 5.25" (PC) drive.

I need to finally get this working as well. I have a late FDC board with 34 pin header but that does not help with the B computers with the on-motherboard FDC. However, we should be able to confirm the pin matchup between the 34 and 50 pin connectors on the late FDC board and then wire up a 50-34 cable from there.

I reached out to Dbit awhile ago but never received a response.

Just to clarify I am trying to connect a 5.25 HD or 3.5" to the Model 6000 and have it co-exist with the internal 8" drive so I can copy files from the 5.25 to the 8". I am not attempting to connect an 8" to a PC. Was thinking best way to go was to use a proto board and put a 50 pin header on one side and a 34 pin on the other side and do the cross connect wiring on the board it self. No cables to cut!
    *FrankG*

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedome45 View Post
    Just to clarify I am trying to connect a 5.25 HD or 3.5" to the Model 6000 and have it co-exist with the internal 8" drive so I can copy files from the 5.25 to the 8". I am not attempting to connect an 8" to a PC. Was thinking best way to go was to use a proto board and put a 50 pin header on one side and a 34 pin on the other side and do the cross connect wiring on the board it self. No cables to cut!
    I have this working using Frank's cabling and the DBit board. One thing to be careful of is the DS/SS issues. There is no specific signal for SS on the 5.25" interface so keep the switched line in mind. It works best if you match the media in the 8" drive with switch settings.

Also, there is a jumper that sets wether DS0/DS1 are expected on the internal interface or the external. If you want DS0 or DS1 external then they are both on the external interface.

Ok what is a DBit board? never heard of it.
    *FrankG*

Blog Entries

I still use a couple of the Microsolutions adapters--a small PCB with a 34-place edge connector and a 50-pin header on it as being very handy.

Otherwise, I found that's considerably easier if the 50 conductor ribbon cable from the drive is terminated in an IDC DD-50 pin female connector and a crimp-pin male DD-50 is used to mate. The crimp pins make it easy to correct or modify any connections--you just push the pin out of the shell and put it where it belongs.

I believe that the FDADAP is what's being talked about.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); July 5th, 2015 at 07:12 AM.