Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CP/M driver patching

Blog Entries

Sure, but again, study the "CP/M Alteration Guide" with regards to disk devices before you start coding.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    The problem is that Lifeboat wasn't a development house, but rather a publisher. I remember doing all the (very) hard work of working out a CBIOS (several hundred lines that included support for a lot of additional drivers), seeing it turned over to the idiots at Lifeboat (the company had its own proprietary multitasking OS and weren't interested in selling a CP/M port themselves) and noting that the only thing they did was add their copyright. I got my revenge later when one of their people came looking for a job, and included the tidbit that he'd written the CBIOS. Old times, fun stuff as long as it didn't kill you.
    I wonder if your CBIOS was also the origin of the FMG , Cybernetics, Inc and Software-Mart implementations of Model II CP/M 2.2?

This explains why the Lifeboat implementation limped along as a very vanilla CP/M. In July of 1981 Radio Shack furnished the four major vendors of CP/M implementations on the Model II with some patches which would solve the same problems Radio Shack were having with FDC Rev A/B boards - the FDC RESET Command not sending the FDC into a known state, and with CDC Drives under TRSDOS (the 1.2a and 2.0a patches) - Lifeboat never did get the thing right after that (until perhaps 2.25), whilst Pickles & Trout and ATON did. Cybernetics and FMG were essentially out of the picture by that time. Software-Mart, with their 'copy Cybernetics and sell it as their own' certainly was!

Blog Entries

No--the version I did was very different from the run-of-the-mill CBIOS. Most CBIOS-es weren't interrupt-driven and 8257 DMA was uncommon. Our system used the 8275 CRT controller and had the printer integrated also.

I can pass the along the source, but unless you had the machine, it probably wouldn't be very useful.

Ah, I think have the wrong end of the stick, Chuck.

I (incorrectly) surmised from the above that you'd written the CBIOS for the Model II implementation of Lifeboat CP/M 2.2. You didn't; sorry for the confusion.

To further clear things up, the FMG implementation was done by Small System Software; they seemed to have shared it with Cybernetics, Inc and that was 'appropriated' (along with some Graham-Dorian accounting software) by Software-Mart, who after changing copyright notices sold it as their own. It did not go unnoticed by either company.

Blog Entries

No, we always considered the TRS-80 models to be unsuited to commercial use. Our stuff spent days at Viking labs on shake tables, condensing atmospheres and hipot testing. I saw no claims from Tandy that similar testing was done on their systems. It's very difficult to find any environmental specs on Tandy stuff.