Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needed a copy of Backpack 5.25 Parellel port floppy driver

Default Needed a copy of Backpack 5.25 Parellel port floppy driver

As title says I am need of the Windows XP version of the driver for the backpack parallel port floppy drive by microsolutions.
    *FrankG*

Blog Entries

I don't think that NT4/XP/2K drivers ever existed for the floppy drives. I can check on the CD that I have with Backpack drivers, but ISTR that floppy drives for the NT-series of operating systems weren't included. If you can even find the 3.5" BP parallel port driver for NT+, it will work on the 5.25" unit.

Blog Entries

The last backpack floppy driver (BPDD213) released does not support XP (or Win 2000 or Win Me). That has a BACKUP.SYS dated 1997 with setup files from 2002.

I think there was a brief attempt at NT drivers but those did not work and were pulled from the market. But that is hazy memory of a press release from about 20 years ago.

Blog Entries

Well, FWIW, I wrote and posted the details of how the backpack works, together with a file that actually does it on DOS. Somewhere, I wrote a VxD for Win9x that does the same. It should be possible to do the same on NT/XP/2K using as a model, the QIC170 driver in the DDK.

I did find drivers and as you said it is only for Win 9x or DOS. Is there such a thing a USB to parallel? I think there is
    *FrankG*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedome45 View Post
    I did find drivers and as you said it is only for Win 9x or DOS. Is there such a thing a USB to parallel? I think there is
    Yes, but for printers only. None of the versions I have seen will work with a parallel port drive.

Blog Entries

Well, there are plans for a versatile (e.g. will work with some of the old parallel-port MCU programmers) parallel interface here, including some using the V-USB interface. But the last one using the AT90USB168 is the fastest and probably the simplest.

Even a USB-to-parallel adaptor will not bypass the need for appropriate drivers.

These backpack parallel floppy units worked fine in DOS, Windows 95 and Windows 98. Maybe even on Windows ME (Since that is just a customized Win98), but i doubt you can get it working on Win2K, WinXP, Win NT and so on.
    Last edited by kyodai; August 10th, 2015 at 02:52 AM.

Yeah I am beginning to think that it won't work on any NT variants.
    *FrankG*

Blog Entries

Thought that was pretty clear right from the start. But if you're up to it, you could certainly "roll your own", particularly with a USB connection. OTOH, if you don't have any experience writing NT device drivers, that could be a pretty steep learning curve.