Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Repair of 5160 XT power supply

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    5160 motherboard receives +5V.
    By receive you mean that one of the pins 2,4,5 or 6 supplies 5V?

It just exploded - the C56 capacitor on the motherboard.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsoOXKPKfQ6FgoAVmp8klqoue7CJyQ

And in the final moment I forgot to put my protective glasses ... and watched flares go around me. Quite a show it was ... next time I will record

So I tested the power supply, the original one ... with glasses and with some distance. It worked. It did not require any load though. Mine is SCHRACK EGO ...
    So this motivated me to finally test the motherboard ... while the kids are not at home ...

My eyes are OK

Tantalum capacitors, like C56, normally explode open circuit. C56 is not required for 5160 motherboard operation (it only filters the +12V passing through to the expansion slots). You may discover that your 5160 is now working. Is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    Tantalum capacitors, like C56, normally explode open circuit. C56 is not required for 5160 motherboard operation (it only filters the +12V passing through to the expansion slots). You may discover that your 5160 is now working. Is it ?
    I removed it completely with cutters and I get some beeps. The thing is that I do not have a monitor to see the exact post error. I will put new capacitors and try to find a compatible monitor or VGA card.

OK, I got both the power supply and mother board working.
    I have put an OTI VGA card, changed jumpers to ON for 5 and 6 and it worked. I was shocked . The memory extension card worked up to 640 KB (unbelievable).
    So I got to see the POST errors: 601. It does want floppy drive, but unfortunately both my floppy and hard disk do not seem to work.
    It says press F1 to continue ... but I do not have a compatible keyboard...

Thanks everyone for the help!!!

XT-IDE seems partially recognized - it detects the external ROM even if I do not yet see the XT IDE boot menu.

Quote Originally Posted by tonata View Post
    It just exploded - the C56 capacitor on the motherboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonata View Post
    I removed it completely with cutters and I get some beeps.
    I have added the failure of C56 to the list at [here].