Image Map Image Map
Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374

Thread: TV Typewriter replica project back on track

Blog Entries

Depending on what's on the board, I use denatured ethyl alcohol for flux removal (seems to work faster than isopropanol) or perchloroethylene (very fast, but a little hard on plastics). Mostly, I leave the flux on--it's an insulator and not corrosive.

Blog Entries

She is finally in her case. I don't know how I could be almost 1/2 inch longer than the prototype and still have everything be this tight -- but it is! And man, is it heavy! I did not expect it to be that heavy!

I didn't really think about how I was going to place the ASCII encoder in the case. I didn't give it quite enough leash to tuck it up the side away from the power supply, and it sticks out from the bottom anyway. So I used some electrical tape for now to suspend it from the rear of the memory board.

20180829_221346.jpg

Another oddity is when the unit is laid flat, the cursor control develops a problem where it skips lines as you type. When I have the unit on it's side it's fine.

Anyway, I managed to type out my magazine cover message one more time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dI_ISq3UDg

The final bits are to track down that issue, get some rubber feet for the case, and then get the badges and switch legends made. No idea how I'm going to do those. Right now i'm just glad it's in it's case.

Blog Entries

I decided for now to print off my TVT badges on an inkjet. I'm actually surprised at how nice they came out. Here's a few snaps including a side by side:

tvt-replica-top.jpg tvt-withlabels.jpg

And side by side with original on left:

tvtssidebyside.jpg

All in all, I can't be too displeased. When I started, I had no skills working with wood, or building anything electronic. To have something that looks pretty darn close to the original (if I say so myself) is pretty satisfying. And unlike the original, it actually works!

If I find out that the badges on the original are metal I will consider ordering a set from a professional shop somewhere. But after handling my printed labels, I honestly can't really tell the difference.

Thank you to everyone who helped along the way. On to the next project. What shall it be... hrmmmmm..

Note - I accidentally attached a photo of the top of the unit from CHM below. I deleted it out of my message but can't get rid of the 'attached thumbnails' garbage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by falter; August 31st, 2018 at 02:11 PM.