Image Map Image Map
Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374
Results 731 to 733 of 733

Thread: TV Typewriter replica project back on track

  1. #731
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    28,525
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Depending on what's on the board, I use denatured ethyl alcohol for flux removal (seems to work faster than isopropanol) or perchloroethylene (very fast, but a little hard on plastics). Mostly, I leave the flux on--it's an insulator and not corrosive.

  2. #732
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,385
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    She is finally in her case. I don't know how I could be almost 1/2 inch longer than the prototype and still have everything be this tight -- but it is! And man, is it heavy! I did not expect it to be that heavy!

    I didn't really think about how I was going to place the ASCII encoder in the case. I didn't give it quite enough leash to tuck it up the side away from the power supply, and it sticks out from the bottom anyway. So I used some electrical tape for now to suspend it from the rear of the memory board.

    20180829_221346.jpg

    Another oddity is when the unit is laid flat, the cursor control develops a problem where it skips lines as you type. When I have the unit on it's side it's fine.

    Anyway, I managed to type out my magazine cover message one more time!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dI_ISq3UDg

    The final bits are to track down that issue, get some rubber feet for the case, and then get the badges and switch legends made. No idea how I'm going to do those. Right now i'm just glad it's in it's case.

  3. #733
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,385
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I decided for now to print off my TVT badges on an inkjet. I'm actually surprised at how nice they came out. Here's a few snaps including a side by side:


    tvt-replica-top.jpg tvt-withlabels.jpg

    And side by side with original on left:

    tvtssidebyside.jpg

    All in all, I can't be too displeased. When I started, I had no skills working with wood, or building anything electronic. To have something that looks pretty darn close to the original (if I say so myself) is pretty satisfying. And unlike the original, it actually works!

    If I find out that the badges on the original are metal I will consider ordering a set from a professional shop somewhere. But after handling my printed labels, I honestly can't really tell the difference.

    Thank you to everyone who helped along the way. On to the next project. What shall it be... hrmmmmm..

    Note - I accidentally attached a photo of the top of the unit from CHM below. I deleted it out of my message but can't get rid of the 'attached thumbnails' garbage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by falter; August 31st, 2018 at 02:11 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •