Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epson PF-10 Disk Utilities

Hello again,

I've had a look through the manual for the PX-4 utilities, and as you say, it seems more helpful than the manual specifically for the PF-10 unit.

I note by the way that there seems to be no explicit FORMAT facility, other that options included in the COPYDISK process, whereby you can format a blank disk, or copy an existing disk, and then delete all the files on the copy (i.e. blank it).

I've had a look at a PX/TF disk that I thought I had, and found with some other TF-20 disks.

This disk is a 5.25 floppy, and seems to be a copy I made of files from a PX-8 disk used on a TF-10. I think the disk I copied was also a 5.25", but this was a LOT of years ago. The disk contains the following files:

/S.??, ASM.COM, BASIC.COM, CONFIG.COM, D.COM, DUMP.COM, ED.COM, FILINK.COM, FORMAT.COM, LOAD.COM, PIP.COM, PROG.BAS, PX-BDOS,HEX, PX-BIOS.HEX,
    PX-COMM.HEX, PX-LOAD.HEX, PXBASIC.COM, PXDUMP.COM

The .HEX files I suspect are files created by myself when I've extracted the data from the system tracks on the disk I had, i.e. the BIOS, BDOS and the CCP, and maybe a loader file? Not at all sure what the /S file is, this is less than 2k. The BASIC.COM may be something I put on the disk while I was working on it, but PXBASIC may be the BASIC for the PX, although I thought that is in ROM?? I think the prog D.COM is in fact DIR.COM .

When I checked the disk with 22DISK, it turned out to be a disk formatted for my Amstrad PCW, anyway, I have now copied the files to a PC disk so I can check things. Yes, the file PXBASIC is an Epson/Microsoft BASIC dated 1983 and could wekk be a version for the PX.

Should all this be archived somewhere, as ell as in my 'archive' system here (under the bed in the spare room)?

Oh, just found nearby to the PX disk, what appears to be a system disk for an Epson QX-10. This may well be a proper disk copy, i.e. bootable?

Geoff
    Vintage Devices: Epson HX-20/TF-20, Amstrad PCW 8256 (with extras), 386 and 486 PCs with 5.25 and 3.5 floppy drives, Pentium 75 with Roland LAPC-I midi card

Hi Geoff,

We may be talking about two different tools. I am talking about the PX-8 COPYDISK.COM tool. It will work with the PF10, TF15, and TF20 I think. Depending on which drive is being copied to which, the COPYDISK.COM tool will determine whether to do a fast copy (dual drive does the copy itself) or a slow copy (the PX-8 has to read the track and then the PX-8 has to write the track).

Thanks,

Alan

????? - I guess yes, totally different things. I have no info whatsoever about any COPYDISK utility that might be on the PX-8. I was referring to a utility supplied with the TF-20 (as I got it about 1984) which is as I describe. This is called COPY.UTL. The disk I have now found does not have any 'copy' program on it, although the manual re the PX-4 indicates a different (larger) set of files which does include COPYDISK. The manual for this does show a different procedure for 1 disk operation as opposed to 2 disk operation.

Geoff
    Vintage Devices: Epson HX-20/TF-20, Amstrad PCW 8256 (with extras), 386 and 486 PCs with 5.25 and 3.5 floppy drives, Pentium 75 with Roland LAPC-I midi card