Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Retro Gaming in 2040

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GaryW536 View Post
    What happens in another 25 years or so when Steam either no longer exists or no longer supports this old game? Where does that leave it? Will it be lost forever alongside 100's of other great titles which also require an online service to function? All that digital art and creativity wasted!
    So there's a few things going on here. You are right to worry that one company's DRM is a problem, especially if that company has no provisions for unlocking the DRM upon their demise. You should be wary of this in every digital asset you lease (and it is a lease, not a purchase -- even buying software in the 70s and 80s wasn't a purchase, it was a license to USE the software). This has been a concern in other forms of media as well; for example, think of all the early films of the 1900s that are long gone because they couldn't be owned, only rented (with the price of a movie ticket).

That said, Steam is 70% of the PC gaming market's downloads, has a virtual monopoly on it, and is making money hand over fist. I would be utterly shocked if they were gone in 25 years. In fact, the only way I could see that happening is if gaming itself could no longer be monetized. So while you are correct to worry, Steam is on of the last things I would worry about. If it helps, they did at one point state, in writing, that the DRM would be unlocked for game licenses they personally own (ie. Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Left 4 Dead, etc.) were they to dissolve.

(Steam is making so many billions (not a typo! billions!) every year that every time someone asks them to make Half-Life 3 they just laugh because it would be a gigantic waste of their time, and would actually lose money because it would take support resources away from their storefront. That's the real reason we will never see Half-Life 3.)
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

I wouldn't be shocked at all if they were gone in 25 years. Nothing's that certain anymore.

But, having 70% of the market virtually ensures that their method will be cracked. Hopefully it's after their demise so they don't have to change it multiple times.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

I just love playing Retro games.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Or Future Gaming 1540?
    Was that when that pirate was hung in Barbados?

TBH, I've just sort of accepted copy protection is there. Funny enough, there are some games that bluff it over steap - Five Nights at Freddy's is like that - I pretty much moved the executable over to an older machine to play hardware requirement limbo with it. Started at the lowest (486) I could think of - acgually got to the title screen before it complained my PC did not meet the requirements (Win95, too old DirectX version - etc).

The games with DRM/Copy Protection I don't like are those like GTA San Andreas and The Sims 2/3/4 that need all these cracked executables in order to run them without the Cd-ROM - I don't need a CD-ROM to run Diablo on the 486 (I have CD images for that) - but for some stupid reason I need one to run The Sims 3.

I like being able to play my stuff auntonomously without an internet connection, without needing to stick the install media into the PC. One of the best forms of copy protection I ever saw was Monkey Island - just a simple code-wheel, with a sense of humor, that's all. And it was not easy to accuratley copy. Or the manuals to Ultima are another great one, it actually made the experience even more immersive, and there was an incentive to take breaks and read the beastiary or the history of Brittannia.

Hell, I ain't worried a bit. Personally, I think Steam will actually continue to support the games for the foreseeable next 25 years. It shouldn't be hard to keep releasing older versions of steam that they've already made that are compatible with the OS or system you are using, and their steam servers. They can make newer versions of Steam with new features, but just leave these features out for the older versions. All Steam has to do is be able to connect and download games from the Steam servers.

In the case that Valve shuts down Steam, it shouldn't be very long before somebody finds a really good way to crack the steam_api.dll that the games rely on to communicate with Steam, and it's already becoming the known way to crack Steam games actually. Ideally, somebody could reverse engineer this library and allow all Steam games to work flawlessly. It's pretty nice actually that all these games have the same DRM, because this allows all of them to be cracked more easily. As for the multiplayer games, well, that's more complicated, but not impossible. See, BF2's current online community has figured out a way to host their own servers and still keep playing BF2 online without Gamespy or EA's servers.