Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter for Amiga/Atari Game Player

Default Kickstarter for Amiga/Atari Game Player

I wanted to share a new Kickstarter campaign with you all.

The goal is to re-release classic video games from the 80ís and 90ís via a player that works on mobile phones, tablets, and smart TVs. This includes 100s of popular games from Amiga, Atari and others.

You can learn more about it on the Kickstarter website: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...nfinity-player

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamer8200 View Post
    Care to comment on the three comments left there, Mr Junior Member?

Blog Entries

I cringed watching the video... then cringed again when I realized they were just reading the copy that made up the campaign text.

I can't count enough fails for this. Who did they intend their target audience to be? What does Nascar have to do with this project? Have they never heard of already-free emulators? Why did they feel they needed 250K to make this happen (and then only ask for 100K in the kickstarter)?

A quick look through the games catalog shows that it is essentially the Gremlin catalog. So someone paid $25k (or something) for Gremlin's mobile rights or something, and now have no idea how to make money with it.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Well, I don't have a smartphone, tablet, or smart TV, and I never will, so eh.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

I have real Amigas!

The AmigaGamesInc web site proclaims the CD32 as "the world's first 32-bit games platform." I guess they never heard of the Fujitsu FM Towns Marty?

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    The AmigaGamesInc web site proclaims the CD32 as "the world's first 32-bit games platform." I guess they never heard of the Fujitsu FM Towns Marty?
    Well, a 386SX is a bit of a difficult case
    It has a 16-bit bus, so the chipset will be 16-bit as well (similar to the early Amigas). CD32 is a full 32-bit machine, both CPU and chipset.

Quote Originally Posted by Scali View Post
    Well, a 386SX is a bit of a difficult case
    It has a 16-bit bus, so the chipset will be 16-bit as well (similar to the early Amigas). CD32 is a full 32-bit machine, both CPU and chipset.
    True, however, the SNES is universally considered to be a 16-bit console even though its 65C816-based CPU only has an 8-bit bus. Classic gaming enthusiasts have attempted to settle the issue by referring to consoles as belonging to the "16-bit era" or "32-bit era", etc. For example, the Intellivision belongs to the "8-bit era" even though it has a 16-bit CPU, and the NEC PC Engine / TurboGrafx 16 belongs to the "16-bit era" even though it has an 8-bit CPU.

All Motorola 68000 based homecomputers and consoles are 32 Bit machines. Yes, the bus is 16 bit only, but they already use the same commands as the 32 bit bus machine 68020 and later to operate with 32 bit datas on real 32 bit registers. It's the same as the 8088 is also a 16 bit machine with 8 bit bus. Or think on 386SX versus 386. Both are running 32 bit code. Half the bus only for cheaper external design (and results in less speed).

Anyhow, this topic has been opened on the Atari subforum. But all the offers on that website only include Amiga games, no ST games, no PC games, no ... Funny is also, when I looked first this morning, only 146 USD have been reached, out of 100.000, and the target should be reached just in 13 days. Aditionally, emulators on Apple iOS devices are impossible, they (Apple) will not allow to offer this in Appstore as it can run uncontrolled code and offers probably in.app buys beyond Apple's control financial share, so no iPad, iPhone, Apple-TV support, and how to get the app on these smart TVs? The only way to do it would be streamed emulator to the target devices to bypass Apple's policy. Would streaming of the emulatet machines work? I have big doubts if this project will happen. Amiga, ST and C-64 emus for Android are for free, so what would make the difference here?

Blog Entries

I think iOS permits emulators but the emulator has to be bundled with the specific program being loaded. Rather wasteful of storage having all those extra copies of an emulator but fortunately Amiga emulators are tiny.

The people running this Kickstarter should have brought it to a local startup evaluation meeting and gotten advice on how to fix it to be worthy of VC money.