Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just got a TI-99/4A for $5

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. 2110 View Post
    Turns out, it's dead. Found everything I needed to start it up properly, and when I powered it up...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyQVc2YVpX4

If I didn't like vintage computers so much, I'd have quit there, but I do like them, so I didn't.
    The failed component is...
    A resistor. I don't know why it failed, but it did. Now I just need to know why, so I don't blow another.
    Not to nitpick, but isn't that a TRANsistor and not a resistor? That might help with your research.

I've got a bunch of TI-99 stuff I'd like to get rid of. I'm moving and there is not enough room for it.
    A partial list:
    3 TI-99/4A consoles
    at least 2 power supplies
    2 PEB
    Lots of cartridges
    Some diskette software + manuals
    1 set Joysticks
    2 speech synthesizers
    probably more, this is off the top of my head..
    I'm not looking to make a lot off these.

PM me with offers if interested.
    Kipp
    Looking for: Altair 8800, Ithaca Intersystems boards, software, manuals. and Jade bus probe card.

Nope! It was a REsistor. Pretty sure the power rails shorted. 'Twas the curse of making a cable.
    Cheap stuff nobody wants is my specialty!

4. Default

The bigger question though is what did it short to? If it just shorted to ground then it is probably no big deal, only the resistors would have been damaged. If it shorted to something else then it may have damaged some other component.

UPDATE:
    I got a working TI, and have discovered I am quite fond of the way it works.

I took advantage of my new RF converter box, have have discovered my first TI ISN'T COMPLETELY DEAD.
    It has a black screen, and emits a high pitch tone, but otherwise nothing. I'm going to do some research to see if I can revive it. If I can, I will try to create a portable TI-99. Maybe I'll call it the TI-99/4P...

I think they call that the Black Screamer.

All TIs do that momentarily on power up, it's the default state of the video/audio hardware. It indicates that the TI is doing nothing; very much like a PET with a Garbage Screen.

Given the price of them, I wouldn't bother trying to fix it, but that's just me.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

I believe it shorted to audio, but the sound chip still works...

Also, what is the little box at the end of the 9500 power brick? It has green labels on it.

I know it's probably not worth fixing, especially now that I have another one, but I was just curious if it was easy. It's probably just going to be my parts machine.
    Last edited by Capt. 2110; March 24th, 2017 at 12:45 PM.

I know it's probably not worth fixing, especially now that I have another one, but I was just curious if it was easy. It's probably just going to be my parts machine.
    With only the black screen, all you can really do is socket chips and swap them out until you find the bad one. Usually not worth the trouble.

But just a thought, if the metal motherboard shielding is not rusted then hang on to that. Parts motherboards and cases turn up on eBay some times, but seemingly never shielding by itself. Also socketed VDP and GROM chips can be removed and kept as spares.

It's not rusted, but it's oxidized, and a little warped, but I do have all of it.

Is there a way to use the sound chip for anything else? From what I've seen, they're pretty bulletproof, so I don't think I'll need a spare(I'll keep it socketed in the other theoretical project, though).

Also, what is the little box at the end of the 9500 power brick? It has green labels on it.
    Probably a fuse. There was a recall/repair but there were few if any real problems.