Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB or WTT: Microsolutions MatchPoint Card

Default WTB or WTT: Microsolutions MatchPoint Card

Hello All,

I am looking to buy a Microsolutions MatchPoint Card or trade one for a CompatiCard IV. Prefer one with manuals and disk. If you have one please drop me a PM. Thank you.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro)

If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

I have one, but they're rare and you can't have it. Even in 1990, they were hard to find--you had to talk to the guy who handled government sales (they sold a bunch to the USPS) to even get MS to admit that they had them.

That being said, it's not a complicated card; mostly a few LSTTL chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I have one, but they're rare and you can't have it.
    There are also better solutions today, like the Deviceside, for the problem it attempted to solve.

I have Don Maslin's card, guess I should scan the top and bottom of the PCB and the manual.
    You can find a product announcement googling "matchpoint-pc computerworld"

Blog Entries

...and it's another one of those products that is highly CPU-speed dependent. Great if you have it installed in a PC XT or AT, but not so much on faster CPUs.

One advantage it did have is that, like the Option board, it daisy chained into the existing floppy setup, so no external or separate floppies--and Uniform/UniDOS had a special version for it.

If you want to see how it works, Jim Sather's "Understanding the Apple II" has a very detailed explanation of the function. It was good enough that I could work out my own card for reading and writing Apple II floppies on a PC. The Woz setup is basically a very, very, simple state machine. Any MCU with a couple of K or RAM could probably handle the job. A $4 Maple mini board is overkill.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); November 20th, 2015 at 09:39 AM.

I have one, but they're rare and you can't have it. Even in 1990, they were hard to find--you had to talk to the guy who handled government sales (they sold a bunch to the USPS) to even get MS to admit that they had them.

That being said, it's not a complicated card; mostly a few LSTTL chips.
    Chuck,

You are such a tease! Yeah, I know they are rare. One actually was on eBay (in the UK) a few months back and before I could hit Buy It Now someone beat me to it.

Another will show up. It is just a question of if I will be still young enough to want to use it....
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro)

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    There are also better solutions today, like the Deviceside, for the problem it attempted to solve.

I have Don Maslin's card, guess I should scan the top and bottom of the PCB and the manual.
    You can find a product announcement googling "matchpoint-pc computerworld"
    Al,

When you scan the manual can you also image the special version of the UniDOS that came with it? I may never get to use them but if I find a bare card at some point at least I will have the SW and manuals. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Al,

When you scan the manual can you also image the special version of the UniDOS that came with it? I may never get to use them but if I find a bare card at some point at least I will have the SW and manuals. Thanks.
    OK, it should be in the archive of the stuff Don had. I think I put the DOS stuff up too, or maybe Chuck could image it. The original DOS disks from the Maslin collection are in off-site storage right now.

Blog Entries

If Al can't find it, drop me a PM and I'll dig it out.

If Al can't find it, drop me a PM and I'll dig it out.
    Thank you to both of you gentleman.

Hello Gentleman,

I was wondering if either of you had a chance to scan/image the disks and documentation for the MatchPoint card? TIA!