Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rare Model II Boards

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    I do have an Arcnet hub, so I have all the hardware to try to create an Arcnet network except for the coax cable. But, the software is going to be a challenge. Arcnet support was part of TRSDOS-II 4.3 and I have never come across a copy of this version. If you'd like to help get an Arcnet network running and you may have or know of TRSDOS-II 4.3 somewhere, please get in touch. There was also XENIX support for Arcnet in some software products, but apparently it was a hidden feature in XENIX. I will have to do more research.
    I can't help with the software and I suspect that most of the coax I have laying around is 75 ohm, but I'd be happy to mail you a couple of BNC tees and 50 ohm terminators, when you're ready.

Quote Originally Posted by roberttx View Post
    I can't help with the software and I suspect that most of the coax I have laying around is 75 ohm, but I'd be happy to mail you a couple of BNC tees and 50 ohm terminators, when you're ready.
    I believe ARCNET often used 93 Ohm Coax which is still avaiable.
    My Wish List: Vintage Mac SCSI->ETHERNET DaynaPORT LINK T DP0801 Manual, Make-It 486 (or other) 80286 upgrades, Hallock Systems gear / disk images, Copy II PC 'Enhanced' Option Board, Earth Computers ISA Z80 cards & TurboDOS disk. TRS-80 Model IV TurboDOS, Pulsar Little Big Board gear, Tandy Videotext Information System (VIS) for Model 16 Xenix

Here is a good overview of Tandy ARCNET for those interested

http://net.pski.retro.s3.amazonaws.c...s%20v05i04.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    This weekend, 2 of the rare boards mentioned in this post came into my shop. This is the first time I've seen these boards.

26-6501 Arcnet Board
    Attachment 40186

26-6503 16K Z80 Memory Board
    Attachment 40183

These boards were discovered in four of five Model IIs that were actually pulled from a garbage dumpster 4 or 5 years ago outside of a recycling center in New Jersey. They must have been part of an Arcnet network at some institution in New Jersey in the early 1980s.

Attachment 40184Attachment 40185

The Arcnet board required the additional memory provided by the 26-6503 memory board which is why you will always find them together in the Model II. It's interesting to note that the memory board has accommodations for 2 additional banks of RAM. Also, in the Tandy Notes and Jumpers, this board is denoted as the 144K memory board. This leads me to think the additional banks can be populated with 64K each. Further investigation is warranted.

I do have an Arcnet hub, so I have all the hardware to try to create an Arcnet network except for the coax cable. But, the software is going to be a challenge. Arcnet support was part of TRSDOS-II 4.3 and I have never come across a copy of this version. If you'd like to help get an Arcnet network running and you may have or know of TRSDOS-II 4.3 somewhere, please get in touch. There was also XENIX support for Arcnet in some software products, but apparently it was a hidden feature in XENIX. I will have to do more research.

That is absolutely fantastic news, pski. I'd begun to think the hardware would never be seen again. Looking at an inventory list I collated from a Model II collection I have, I *do* have the software you're looking for:

3x Originals of Model II/12 TRSDOS 4.3 Application Processor System Diskette (Arcnet) -- 26-6501
    1x Original of Model II/12 TRSDOS 4.3 File Processor System Diskette -- 26-6502

As with the Videotex software, I understand rarity of these, so won't be touching them until I have a flux-level imaging setup ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kevill View Post
    That is absolutely fantastic news, pski. I'd begun to think the hardware would never be seen again. Looking at an inventory list I collated from a Model II collection I have, I *do* have the software you're looking for:

3x Originals of Model II/12 TRSDOS 4.3 Application Processor System Diskette (Arcnet) -- 26-6501
    1x Original of Model II/12 TRSDOS 4.3 File Processor System Diskette -- 26-6502

As with the Videotex software, I understand rarity of these, so won't be touching them until I have a flux-level imaging setup ready.
    Scott, your news is fantastic too!

Any chance you can image the Application and File Processors or send them to me for imaging? I've been pretty successful with my 8in imaging setup. I can't go much further towards creating a working Arcnet network without that software.

This is great! I'm curious about how the Arcnet network worked in the big Tandy machines. I wonder how hard it might be to design a modern substitute for the original Arcnet board, to allow more folks to play with Arcnet networking without having access to the rare original boards. I also wonder whether it might be practical to make an "Ethernet card that the Tandy thinks is an Arcnet card" device?