Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How *not* to sell me your old computer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FishFinger View Post
    If you're selling something in the original box then the original box is part of the item, not the shipping box. An original box is useless if it's wrapped in half a roll of brown tape and covered in UPS labels.
    I unfortunately received a PCjr chiclet keyboard in original box that way... yesterday. Argh. I should have sent the seller a message but "real collector's item!" in the listing led me to believe they had respect for the box.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

A new wrinkle on my article from years ago. I got a call from someone in Connecticut or somewhere up north, asking me to buy their computer. They INSISTED I put an ad on their local Craiglist and wanted to know why I am in Georgia and would not buy their computer. I told them I have never put in a Craigslist ad outside of where I live... Augusta, Georgia.

Anyway, they insist again and say they are "going to turn me in to Craigslist for fraud". Very funny, but still I didn't want people flagging my ads. I again told them I never made such an ad in their area, they are free to contact Craigslist since there must be an error in their search, and could they forward me the ad they are talking about.

Well, they sent the link and guess what? It was someone posting a wanted ad in their area, but they linked to the article on my website!
    The seller visited the link, contacted me, and assumed I was the one who put up the ad.

As someone who lives in connecticut i assure you the northeast is high on scammers and fraud. Sorry for your yrouble. What were you selling?

For the record

I have some ads up on craigslist. Most stuff i get has zero follow throughs. The rest is asking ebay prices or higher.

Me: Please make sure that everything is wrapped up good in plenty of bubble wrap and that the heavy items won't crush anything. I'll pay a little extra for shipping if needed.

Guy: *Randomly throws everything in a box with some packing peanuts, then rolls it out of the bed of a pickup in front of the FedEx office in the rain.*

(Several days later, computer arrives smashed to bits.)

Me: Files complaint with ebay after getting no response from the guy after a couple days, then gives negative feedback.

Guy: WAI YOU GIV BAD FEDBAK?
    -- Lee

If you get super-bored, try Muh Crappy YouTube Channel
    Looking to Buy/Trade For: Mac IIci hard drive bracket and one bottom rubber foot.
    May Be Interested In Acquiring: 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci PDS, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Old Serial Terminals (TRS-80 DT-1 in particular), TRS-80 Model 4

I've got a local wanted ad on Craigslist looking for "older than Windows 95" computers because a lot of people don't know much about the specs. 99% of the replies I get are something to the effect of "I've got this core 2 duo Dell Dimension, would you pay $200 for it?" I've also been getting people replying to my ad who want to buy computers from me lately for whatever reason

Even after painstaking explanation of good packing technique, a Mac Plus and original 128k Mac both arrived with the cases smashed. The shippers did get it together to protect the sides, front and back, but left the machines sitting directly on the bottom of the box where the first drop off the conveyor belt broke it. Sorry to be blunt, but "You can't fix stupid..". My all time favorite was the person in TX who shipped a Xerox 820 system in a thin box with an old winter coat wrapped around the sides. Naturally, no top of bottom protection and - equally naturally - smashed case. When I complained, they abruptly closed their eBay account and disappeared. Fortunately I was able to glue the case together and straighten out all the bent internal pieces. Incredibly enough, CRT was fine and the system works to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    As someone who lives in connecticut i assure you the northeast is high on scammers and fraud. Sorry for your yrouble. What were you selling?

For the record

I have some ads up on craigslist. Most stuff i get has zero follow throughs. The rest is asking ebay prices or higher.
    As someone who lives in a major city in the Southwest, I think scammers and fraud are more specific to the folks who frequent these sites.

I never get the 'ebay prices', and particularly love when they reference ebay prices in their emails as to how they priced it. If they want ebay prices, go sell on ebay. Oh, wait, they don't want to because they don't understand ebay and don't want to pay all the fees? Exactly... And I don't want to buy their product for ebay fees and deal with driving over to pick it up when I can have them ship it to me for the same price. The only reason we really buy locally is because we'd rather the hassle then spending the extra money.

I personally don't like to deal with strangers, and I hate trying to ship equipment, so I never manage to sell anything i need to sell. I do belong to a local retro group so usually i just give/trade them stuff I don't need, or sell it really cheap just to avoid the hassle. I've had friends get out of the hobby because they went 'all in', doing 'hauls' and fixing and cleaning up stuff, selling it... they turned the hobby into a second job and didn't have any time to enjoy the stuff they had...

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    I've got a local wanted ad on Craigslist looking for "older than Windows 95" computers because a lot of people don't know much about the specs. 99% of the replies I get are something to the effect of "I've got this core 2 duo Dell Dimension, would you pay $200 for it?" I've also been getting people replying to my ad who want to buy computers from me lately for whatever reason
    Haha, I do see 'vintage' computers on craigslist pop up here that are old HP/Dell computers, it's kinda funny. But, I guess it is vintage to the 20 something year old who needs rent money before their roommates throw them out.

For the folks who are writing, asking for equipment, I'd invite them to whatever local computer group you have in the neighborhood. That way you can vet them out and see if they're actually interested in the hobby or it's just a business for them. If they're into the hobby, it's a great way to exchange stuff (or skills) without the hassle.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shirsch View Post
    Incredibly enough, CRT was fine and the system works to this day.
    Likely because the smashed case and bent metal took the impact instead of the tube.

I just boxed up a monitor this weekend with the help of a friend; we put 2" firm foam on all six sides, plus filled every void with foam or bubble wrap. It's wedged in there good and doesn't move or rattle, so fingers crossed it makes it across the world to its destination.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    As someone who lives in a major city in the Southwest, I think scammers and fraud are more specific to the folks who frequent these sites.

I personally don't like to deal with strangers, and I hate trying to ship equipment, so I never manage to sell anything i need to sell. I do belong to a local retro group so usually i just give/trade them stuff I don't need, or sell it really cheap just to avoid the hassle. I've had friends get out of the hobby because they went 'all in', doing 'hauls' and fixing and cleaning up stuff, selling it... they turned the hobby into a second job and didn't have any time to enjoy the stuff they had...
    I have had this happen. Sometimes you run into a large lot and they want it all gone and you can't leave it or it doesn't seem right to leave it. In these cases, I just pick out what I need and head to the dumpster with the other stuff immediately- it never makes it home. (I'm not talking about anything anyone would want- I'm talking about the Laserjet II's, the SCSI scanners, and the "box of wires and software").

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    (I'm not talking about anything anyone would want- I'm talking about the Laserjet II's, the SCSI scanners, and the "box of wires and software").
    Those are my litmus tests for whether or not I'm dealing with a hoarder. (ducking)
    Offering a bounty for: