Image Map Image Map
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

Blog Entries

Thanks for the input. I really would like to see if it's possible to go to SATA 3, as it raises my hopes for getting W7 to run nice on the SSD. I too see video drivers as a major stumbling block. I'm still kind of wishing for a "hey man, yeah I did that" kind of response from someone out there. Also, I'd like to hear from anyone who actually used the StarTech PCIe to PCI adapter successfully for anything.

Blog Entries

Doom 3 No-CD fix

I forgot to post the fix: 'doom3v1.0NoCDFixedexeEng.rar'

Depending on where you download 2 possible passwords are 'lonebullet & gbw'

The patch will let you run a legit game without the CD. Works like a champ on my A7.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield

I found a copy of Raven Shield on Amazon for $3.99. The description said "very good condition". It requires at least a PIII with 800 MHz and Windows 98/ME/2000/XP (no 95 or NT), and 256K RAM if running XP. The game was released around 2003 so it fits right in with all of this. When I got the game yesterday, I was pleasantly suprised that it was 'brand new' and still in its original shrink wrap. Most of all it's fun to play and I spent a couple of hours with it and highly recommended for this build. The 'no-cd' fix is available everywhere for legit game owners. Kind of curious that it comes with a key but doesn't ask for it during the install.

P.S. Installs but won't run on W10 even in comparability mode.

Blog Entries

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrorwind

Gog now has some of the Elder Scrolls series. I chose 'Morrorwind' from about 2003. The game supports Xp/Vista/7 and installs on the A7 perfectly. I was searching for Skyrim and found it on Amazon, but was concerned about Steam requirements and DRM, so that will take some more investigation on my part. Be advised that the same package also runs under W10. I chose the XP-SP3 compatibility mode and it runs nearly full screen on my 27" 4K monitor at 1024 x 768.

Blog Entries

The Age of Empires II: Age of Kings & Conquerors Expansion

Received Conquerors Expansion today. The game came in its original box, jewel case, manuals and foldouts. Who ever owned it took excellent care of it. In order to install AOE-CE you must have the original AOE II up and and running and also you'll want to have the NO CD fix handy. Both games installed with no problems on A7's XP, and the No CD fix was just a cut & paste for both games. The video was maxed out to 1280 x 1024 and the audio is so-so. The copywrite on AOE-CE is from 2000.

The next thing was to see if I could get these original versions up and running on W10. I used my backup Gigabyte MA790FX-UDP5 for the test. Both installs required the NO-CD fix and a tweak in the games' start icon 'properties' along with a tick on 'Run as administrator', and 'Run as XP SP2' in the compatibility mode. Note that both of these games are available in the 'HD' format and will run on the later OS's. Verdict: They run okay but looks like they lose something in the translation on W10.

Blog Entries

Blood II - The Chosen

Blood II (1999) is available over at GOG for a fairly reasonable $2.39 US. You can download both versions; i.e. 'setup blood2_2.0.0.5.exe' and 'GOG_Galaxy_Blood_2_The_Blood_Group.exe' The latter installs and runs okay under W10 also. Virtually all 3D and sound cards are supported, so there shouldn't be any problem with the A7 in that area. With the ATI Radeon 4600 i'm running high detail @ 1152 x 864 x 16. Install was smooth with no gotchas and the game play is real nice. Hard to beat the price for a legal download.

Blog Entries

Syberia II

Syberia II can be had for $1.99 USD at Gog. This version appears to have a (c) date of 2010. It's a no fuss install and the settings are minimal on the A7. Nice choice for younger folks as it can be played with the keyboard or just the mouse. Upon the initial run, the game's intro seemed to stutter somewhat but is not now noticeable. There are no apparent resolution settings in the game's main menu and it seems to max out to your video card/monitor automatically, however there are plenty of fixes/tweaks available on the net. Here's a fairly comprehensive walk-through: https://www.walkthroughking.com/text/syberia2.aspx.

Note: For those who have recently jumped in on the A7 project, please be aware that the build references at least XP SP3 and my box has the so called SP4. Also, I have no credentials as a critic or reviewer - I just call 'em as I see 'em.

Blog Entries

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Update

Ordered a PCIe to PCI adapter this afternoon. One more (and final) thrust into the W7 world as I have a few SATA 3 adapters lying about. This is just a shot in the dark as some think there will be major bandwidth problems with this addition. My take has always been that the BW factor (through the adapter) will not be a large problem if it amounts to no less BW than the original on-board SATA I value. The real benefit would be to get SSD's, some of which are not fully SATA I backward compatible, to work. The SATA I/W7/SSD compatibility issues were a major stumbling block early on in this project with respect to W7.

Instead of stacks of multiple janky adapters, why not use a basic SATA to IDE converter? When such adapters first came out, they were usually hot garbage, but modern variants using a JMicron controller are usually pretty good.

I bought one of these to test out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172824448184

It has a JMicron controller And it actually works pretty good. I've tried several SATA drives and a couple of SSDs and the drives are seen and work fine, just at the slower ATA-133 spec.

I did a R/W test with a 1 GB file on a 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo and got 108 MB/s read and 80 MB/s write. Not stellar, but it works.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Instead of stacks of multiple janky adapters, why not use a basic SATA to IDE converter? When such adapters first came out, they were usually hot garbage, but modern variants using a JMicron controller are usually pretty good.

I bought one of these to test out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172824448184

It has a JMicron controller And it actually works pretty good. I've tried several SATA drives and a couple of SSDs and the drives are seen and work fine, just at the slower ATA-133 spec.

I did a R/W test with a 1 GB file on a 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo and got 108 MB/s read and 80 MB/s write. Not stellar, but it works.
    The A7 can do IDE native. What I want to do is see if I can get a PCIe SATA controller to run a SATA 3 SSD through this new adapter. Why? - Hopefully SATA 3 backward compatibility issues will disappear when running W7. Major problems with advertised SSD backward compatibility have been experienced with this project. BTW, the price dropped dramatically on the adapter, so I though I'd give the build one more shot. The box still runs great with no issues going into the 5th year (time flies)(very good period gamer).