Image Map Image Map
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

Blog Entries

I have an XFX 4650 1GB AGP here somewhere. Got it at a decent prices because somebody broke the power plug so I soldered in a new one.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I have an XFX 4650 1GB AGP here somewhere. Got it at a decent prices because somebody broke the power plug so I soldered in a new one.
    Did you ever get around to installing or testing it in a system?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Lesson here is never offer free delivery. It's difficult to be a 'good guy' seller on Ebay these days.
    The lesson I learned is don't bother with eBay it you want to sell something headache-free. Use TradeMe instead if you live in New Zealand like I do. I only bothered with eBay in the first place as I thought there'd be much more demand for something useful for cryptocurrency mining internationally therefore I'd get a better price as a result. To my surprise that really wasn't the case.

Blog Entries

ASUS -A7N8X-E Deluxe

This has nothing to do with the build, but I thought I'd pass this tidbit down. Last week I bricked my old Samsung wireless mono laser printer. I did a real good job on it changing the toner cartridge - lots of plastic went flying around. So, I bought a new Canon M240 for a real good price. It was advertised as having a 'painless' wireless setup routine. Turns out it pretty much was except that the setup CD didn't support W10. No problem there, just down loaded the right drivers and it was a piece of cake from there on out. Since the A7 was near by, I shoved the original Canon CD in, and lo-and-behold, XP installed all the Canon printer drivers. The new printer works fine on the old gamer.

Blog Entries

ASUS -A7N8X-E Deluxe Update

I finally scored a Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 1 GB for the A7. I got the thing for $21.50 in the original box and packaging, along with all of the accessories except the CD and manual. I located the driver set and 'hot fix' directly from the Sapphire web site. The Catalyst 14.4 drivers would appear to install but were non-functional and there was no Catalyst Control Center (CCC). The 'Hot Fix' and a video card BIOS update were also downloaded. The 'hot fix' was evidently tailored for AGP and totally fixed all of the 14.4 short comings. Back up in #82, GiGaBiTe warned that the driver would be an issue. I suppose I got lucky on that count. When I get some time I'll try to do some bench marks on a few games.

Blog Entries

ASUS -A7N8X-E Deluxe Update

I believe that the Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 AGP w/ 1 GB is the top of the heap for this type build. The CCC works as advertised and the display is only limited by the monitor's specs. My current setup is 1360 x 768 @ 62 HZ & Highest (32 bit) color. These setting are by no means max, but conform to several of the games that I play the most. If you currently have or in intend to build a similar period gamer, I would highly recommend the 4650. Caveat: Pricey and hard to source. Must have patience.
    (I firmly believe that some of the Ebay sellers monitor this forum, have a pretty good idea of what people are looking for, and price accordingly).

URL for the 4600 series drivers: http://www.sapphiretech.com/productd...510ED&lang=eng

20171207_114939.jpg

Honestly, a 7800gs is a better preposition for a beefy AGP card. It is a native AGP offering, unlike the HD46x0 using a weird bridge chip that causes compatibility issues. While still not cheap, you can generally find them between $60-100 on Ebay with decent availability. There are some rare Gainward 7800gs cards which are actually using full blown 7900GT parts, but these use bridge chips and likely have the same compatibility issues.

The 7800gs is a slightly slower card than the HD46x0 and lacks DX10 support, but if you're trying to play DX10 games on an ancient AGP system, you got your priorities backwards.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    . . . if you're trying to play DX10 games on an ancient AGP system, you got your priorities backwards.
    Question: Are you familiar with this . . .

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/easily-i...or-windows-xp/

My first observation is that my whole system seems to run better with the 4650. We'll see how goes on down the line.

Blog Entries

AMD had Radeon drivers specific to AGP cards on their website last I looked.

AGP systems should be limited to DX9 gaming or earlier. My high end AGP systems tend to use cards like the 7600GS, 6600/6800GT, x1950, HD2600 etc. I recapped a bunch of old Athlon XP and socket 754 era AGP boards and made systems out of them for fun a few years back. 1GB cards will eat up system ram on XP under 3GB usable on a 4GB system. The good gaming AGP cards generally had 256MB and some had 512MB. Games that needed more VRAM were better of PCIE cards anyway.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    AMD had Radeon drivers specific to AGP cards on their website last I looked.

AGP systems should be limited to DX9 gaming or earlier. My high end AGP systems tend to use cards like the 7600GS, 6600/6800GT, x1950, HD2600 etc. I recapped a bunch of old Athlon XP and socket 754 era AGP boards and made systems out of them for fun a few years back. 1GB cards will eat up system ram on XP under 3GB usable on a 4GB system. The good gaming AGP cards generally had 256MB and some had 512MB. Games that needed more VRAM were better of PCIE cards anyway.
    ATI Radeon AGP cards using the 14.4 drivers require the "hot fix" driver set. The 1 GB 4650 is here to stay.