Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 109

Thread: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Walled Lake, MI
    Posts
    2,938
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

    I'm looking for an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe XP RAID driver. I recently resurrected this old K7 mobo from my loft and have so far been successful in rounding up all of the XP drivers except for the RAID. Thanks in advance for looking.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Walled Lake, MI
    Posts
    2,938
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Thanks anyway for the info. That probably came from 'Soggy's web page. That driver won 't load. All of his drivers are for the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Rev 2.0, where mine is REV 1.01. There were only two releases for this board and the on-board RAID chip may be different. The LAN driver from his page is also borked - won't unzip. I was able to trace the the LAN driver back to the Marvel-Yukon site, which by the way has an excellent page, and download the correct driver. So far, so good. The RAID driver isn't all that important as I don't plan on setting up a RAID. However, I would like to gather all of the drivers for that board for posterity's sake.

    Here's an observation for those who may be contemplating this type of a build. While not truly vintage, it's heading in that direction. I have a Intel based PIII board up and running with a Tualatin 1.4 GB chip and 512 MB of RAM. The OS is XP and it's a real good gamer. The ASUS
    A7N8X-E board presently has a Socket A (462-pin) K7 Sempron 2800+ 'Thoroughbred' which runs and 2.2 GHz and 1 GB of RAM (runs XP real nice and can do W7). The plan is to go with the Sempron 3300+ 'Barton' which is basically the same chip but adds a 512 KB L2 cache. Also, the memory will be bumped up to 3 GHz. So, the ASUS A7 is a noticeable step-up from the Intel PIII, however, it's not quite a Pentium 4 in terms of speed (2200 vs 2800 for the P4), but the Sempron has other advantages such power, and ability run the 'older games' a little more efficiently. Of course, this argument has been going on for a decade and a half, and I supposed that it all boils down as to what kind of hardware that you have ready access to. Again, if any one has the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Rev 1.01, I would appreciate your RAID driver.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; December 5th, 2015 at 09:02 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Walled Lake, MI
    Posts
    2,938
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Late edit on the above:

    I may be guilty of cranial anal insertion (again). Got thinking about the RAID setup up and of course it won't load, as I suppose I should have had the driver on a floppy and hit the F6 while installing XP. Don't know if it's possible to install/slip stream that driver with out running XP setup again. I never had much luck with the XP repair console and all. It shows up as not being loaded in 'Device Manager', so I'll just whack it there and out of sight out of mind.

  5. #5

    Default

    I dunno who "Soggy" is, that driver is from the Silicon Image website. If your board has a Sil 3112 it should work. But if not there are several other versions on the Silicon Image site you could try.

    I have both an A7N8X Deluxe and A7N8X-X and the accompanying driver CDs. Not sure if that would help.

    Also, both my boards developed bad caps...you may want to check yours if you haven't replaced them yet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Late edit on the above:

    I may be guilty of cranial anal insertion (again). Got thinking about the RAID setup up and of course it won't load, as I suppose I should have had the driver on a floppy and hit the F6 while installing XP. Don't know if it's possible to install/slip stream that driver with out running XP setup again. I never had much luck with the XP repair console and all. It shows up as not being loaded in 'Device Manager', so I'll just whack it there and out of sight out of mind.
    Yes, it's possible to slipstream drivers onto an XP install CD. You can do it with Nlite:

    http://www.nliteos.com/

    In the case of more modern motherboards in relation to XP (later P4 and Athlon boards), you'll often have to slipstream the chipset drivers as well as the disk controller drivers or setup will BSOD.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Walled Lake, MI
    Posts
    2,938
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    I dunno who "Soggy" is, that driver is from the Silicon Image website. If your board has a Sil 3112 it should work. But if not there are several other versions on the Silicon Image site you could try.

    I have both an A7N8X Deluxe and A7N8X-X and the accompanying driver CDs. Not sure if that would help.

    Also, both my boards developed bad caps...you may want to check yours if you haven't replaced them yet.
    Here's "Soggy": http://soggi.eu/mbs/asus/A7N8X-E-Deluxe.htm

    Didn't know you had the setup CD. The caps 'look' pretty good but looks aren't everything and please don't give me reason to worry.

    Late edit: Do you think you could make an image of that CD?
    Last edited by Agent Orange; December 5th, 2015 at 08:47 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Walled Lake, MI
    Posts
    2,938
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Yes, it's possible to slipstream drivers onto an XP install CD. You can do it with Nlite:

    http://www.nliteos.com/

    In the case of more modern motherboards in relation to XP (later P4 and Athlon boards), you'll often have to slipstream the chipset drivers as well as the disk controller drivers or setup will BSOD.
    After I applied the registry hack, XP update installed the RAID driver as well as updating some of the others, and now all is well. My ASUS Sabertooth 990FX allows you to setup a raid through UEFI.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Late edit: Do you think you could make an image of that CD?
    Yes, if you still need it?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Walled Lake, MI
    Posts
    2,938
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Yes, if you still need it?
    Yes, please, if you have the time. I would like to archive it in my collection. The SATA-RAID driver that installed is that same driver, 'Sil 3112'. I have a NIB Sempron "Barton" 3300+ 2.2 GHz w/ 512 KB L2 cache on the way, as well as 3 NIB sticks of 1 GB PC-3200 RAM that I found for $ 9.82, delivered. If the CPU/RAM upgrade goes well, I may attempt to install W7 and see what happens. I ran Doom on the DOS partition and it was all very nice and smooth. This afternoon I'm going to pull the 160 GB PATA HD and install a 120 GB SSD and clone it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •