Image Map Image Map
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

I have all the WC games up to WC3 that I bought when I was into gaming on my older Dual Pentium or Cx5x86-based system units. Played with the WCS-II and a ThrustMaster-compatible FlightStick. I really like those games, and I'm 67 now! I agree GOG is an excellent source for retro games.

Blog Entries

Half-Life: Team Fortress Classic

Finally got a CD that will install without Steam on the 3rd try. The 1st time around was the 2007 version of "The Orange Box" which includes Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. The 2nd go was Half-Life, Half-Life: Deathmatch, and Team Fortress Classic. The 2 former packages were both Steam and I received a full refund including shipping. My final cost was about $12US including shipping.

The most recent one arrived yesterday; "Half-Life: Team Fortress Classic", and it's without DRM/Steam. It comes with a serial number on the front of the disk caddy which needs to be entered the first time the game is played. You're not required to load the CD after initial installation so that's one PITA you need not concern yourself with. It might be a good idea when purchasing off of Ebay to send an email to the seller and make sure he or she is aware of the Steam factor. As most of us know, you will never get a used Steam game up and running unless you cut a deal with the original buyer and a bonafide transfer is made through Steam. Personally, I've never seen that happen, but I know that there are those out there who will insist that it's a piece of cake - no problem.

The game installation itself was one of the easiest to install and the video/audio options are straight forward. There are some choices for playing online but they seem to be geared toward dial-up and LAN. Early on, during the games intro, I did notice some very slight buffering but that seemed to clear up after the lengthy tram ride. The graphics and audio are outstanding and as you are probably aware, it has its roots in Quake. So, if you are a Quake fan, you're going to love this one.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    There are some choices for playing online but they seem to be geared toward dial-up and LAN. Early on, during the games intro, I did notice some very slight buffering but that seemed to clear up after the lengthy tram ride. The graphics and audio are outstanding and as you are probably aware, it has its roots in Quake. So, if you are a Quake fan, you're going to love this one.
    What you have is the WON version of Half-Life. The WON network was shut down in 2003, making LAN the only way to have multiplayer.

There was a small group that reverse engineered the WON network and made their own called WON2 or the Steamless CS project that allowed WON players to keep playing until the network went offline somewhere around 2009.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    What you have is the WON version of Half-Life. The WON network was shut down in 2003, making LAN the only way to have multiplayer.

There was a small group that reverse engineered the WON network and made their own called WON2 or the Steamless CS project that allowed WON players to keep playing until the network went offline somewhere around 2009.
    Interesting history on that, but I never knew anyone who used it. Nowhere in the setup does it mention "World Opponent Network". I'm guessing that Valve/Steam was leaving it up to the user to figure something out if you wanted to play with some buddies. Personally, I was never 'good enough' to hang with the people online. I have my hands full with a 8 year old playing checkers on W10.

Interesting history on that, but I never knew anyone who used it. Nowhere in the setup does it mention "World Opponent Network". I'm guessing that Valve/Steam was leaving it up to the user to figure something out if you wanted to play with some buddies. Personally, I was never 'good enough' to hang with the people online. I have my hands full with a 8 year old playing checkers on W10.
    WON was the original method Half-Life used to play online, it was integrated into the Half-Life client from the original release in 1998 and worked right up until 2003 when Valve shut the WON auth servers down. I and millions of other players used the WON network right up until it was taken offline.

The reason that WON went away is because it was run by Sierra Entertainment and Valve wanted to bring the internet portion of the game back in house, which is where Steam came from. The first versions of Steam only ran Valve games, it wasn't until several years after the fact that it became a CDN for other publishers.

Everyone back then hated Steam because it was buggy, slow and took up disproportionate amounts of system resources on already resource constrained machines. Game clients were a fairly new thing back then, with the only other major client being Gamespy. Valve initially was going to charge gamers again to buy Half-Life on Steam, but then relented and implemented a CD Key registration system to link it to your Steam account, which still works today. If your CD Keys haven't been registered already, you can make a new Steam account and register the keys to get the Half-Life platinum edition, which includes most of the GoldSrc engine games (Half-Life, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, Deathmatch Classic, Ricochet, Team Fortress Classic and Counter-Strike.) Unfortunately, Windows XP isn't supported anymore, as are CPUs lacking SSE2 so Athlons before the Athlon 64 are a no-go.
    Last edited by GiGaBiTe; January 15th, 2020 at 05:46 PM.

Blog Entries

WON was the original method Half-Life used to play online . . .
    Don't doubt it. However, I have 2 Valve games that 'reference' dial-up & LAN but make no reference to WON.
    There must have been a download package from Valve to get you going on that or maybe something buried deep down in the game CD. Either way it's dead horse at this point in time.

It's built into the Half-Life client...

Even has a button to go to the WON website.

Unless you have the latest 1.1.1.0 patch, plus the 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2 WON2 patches, Half-Life will crash if you try to look for internet games or chat rooms. You can get all three from my archive website here:

http://number-7.com/index.php?dir=fi...old%20updates/

When installing the 1.1.1.2 update, choose master server 1 (Europe) or 2 (Worldwide) or you may not get any servers in the internet list. I just checked and there are around 20-30 servers, mostly Counter-Strike, but there is one DM server.
    Last edited by GiGaBiTe; January 16th, 2020 at 02:01 AM.

Blog Entries

It's built into the Half-Life client...

Even has a button to go to the WON website.

Unless you have the latest 1.1.1.0 patch, plus the 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2 WON2 patches, Half-Life will crash if you try to look for internet games or chat rooms. You can get all three from my archive website here:

http://number-7.com/index.php?dir=fi...old%20updates/

When installing the 1.1.1.2 update, choose master server 1 (Europe) or 2 (Worldwide) or you may not get any servers in the internet list. I just checked and there are around 20-30 servers, mostly Counter-Strike, but there is one DM server.
    I just fired it up to have a look-see and sure enough, it's there just as you noted. But, as I stated before, multiplayer is not my thing. My basic concern is to get these period games up and running on the A7 with XP. If someone can figure out how to multiplay these old games on the A7, without breaking the bank, that would be plus. Also, I don't do this as a means of support; I'm not a pro like some on this forum, and it's all in the realm of hobby and pass-time for me. However, I do try to put out the straight skinny with references when it pertains to the A7 project. I'm not always 100% right but I do make an effort in that direction.

If someone can figure out how to multiplay these old games on the A7, without breaking the bank, that would be plus. Also, I don't do this as a means of support
    All of the hard work on this has already been done for Half-Life. Just install the patches and you can play either online or LAN. I'd bare minimum install the 1.1.1.0 patch, it was the last official Valve patch for WON HL and it fixes numerous bugs with the game, as well as adding several free mods.

Blog Entries

All of the hard work on this has already been done for Half-Life. Just install the patches and you can play either online or LAN. I'd bare minimum install the 1.1.1.0 patch, it was the last official Valve patch for WON HL and it fixes numerous bugs with the game, as well as adding several free mods.
    Looks like a cult following. Quite a few folks who drop in on this thread from time to time will probably like that. I have that patch but haven't got around to installing it yet.