Image Map Image Map
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

Blog Entries

Wing Commander 4: The Price of Freedom

Found WC4 on Gog today for $1.49 USD. The download comes with Gog's Galaxy version which is compatible up through W8. The 6 'off-line' (install.exe & BINS) files work for the XP & Vista installations, and there is even a DOS version in the mix. The install routine had a small hitch at the front end and I just told it to ignore the file and installation was completed without further incident. There are no setup options, however it soon became evident that the game should be played with a joystick. I'll need to dig my Thrustmaster out to play this thing right. This game is a real beauty and fun to play, however, the lead in with Mark Hamill is a little tedious. Another plus is that download offers the complete set of documentation.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

PCIe to PCI Adapter

The PCIe to PCI host adapter is now here as well as the SATA 3 adapter. As summer is winding down, hopefully I can find some time for the A7. I will be attempting to install W7, once again, on a 120 GB SSD via the new hardware. Worst case scenario is that it won't work and I'm out about $40 in hardware costs. If anyone has successfully installed W7 on the A7 with a SSD recently (not an IDE), I would like to here from you.

If your janky adapter setup doesn't work, I recommend the SATA to IDE adapter I mentioned earlier. I've had a chance to test it on some Pentium 4 and Athlon XP boards and they recognized both the SSD I had and regular SATA HDDs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    If your janky adapter setup doesn't work, I recommend the SATA to IDE adapter I mentioned earlier. I've had a chance to test it on some Pentium 4 and Athlon XP boards and they recognized both the SSD I had and regular SATA HDDs.
    I'll definitely keep that in mind and thanks for the tip.

Blog Entries

Rainbow Six

Tom Clancy's original 1998 "Rainbow Six" is available over at GOG for $3.39. The GOG version supports XP & 7. The game is downloaded via an installer, so some networking will be required for full installation. Upon running the game after the initial installation, I thought I may have made a mistake with this one, as the opening graphics make CGA look like 4K in comparison. Once the game's setup page appears you can select up to and including (SVGA) 1024 x 768, along with the usual audio options and etc. The game's video is smooth and all keyboard and mouse movements seem very precise. The audio is okay and I didn't find any problems there. I like it as the price is hard to beat. A nice addition to your A7 library.

Blog Entries

If you are on the GoG mailing list they give out free games from time to time if you act within a few days to claim them.

I just claimed Wasteland 2 Directors cut (I think it is still available for 13hrs) plus you get the original Wasteland when you use a code.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    If you are on the GoG mailing list they give out free games from time to time if you act within a few days to claim them.

I just claimed Wasteland 2 Directors cut (I think it is still available for 13hrs) plus you get the original Wasteland when you use a code.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm not on the mailing list and for the most part just jump in there on a whim. It's becoming more difficult to find the better XP shooters on GOG these days.

Blog Entries

Which shooters are you talking about?

I think the last shooters I purchased from GOG were the Hard Reset and Painkiller games and they were pretty cheap.

Generally I would rather have a boxed games or at least the original CD/DVD and keys. I think I paid $1.65 shipped for a legit Unreal Tournament 3 DVD on Ebay recently just to mess with it (I have all the older versions boxed).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Which shooters are you talking about?
    Those two you mentioned, are they XP? Generally any shooter that's decent, cheap, and runs on XP is what I'm looking for. Also, needs to be fully compatible with the A7 motherboard. I go for adventure games too because a person needs a little variety. You're a collector and I'm 10 to 15 years behind times because I was too cheap to jump on this stuff way back when and didn't have interest that I have now. I do have some pretty good games for my X570 gamer but I don't buy from Steam. Every once in a while my son decides that I need a new game and he pops for the Steam version. Also, I'm not into the on-line scene. When I play it's just me and if I can find a cheat I'll do that too.

I'm about to experiment with A7 motherboard and try to get a PCIe SATA 3 controller to install through an adapter. I have all of the parts and just need to find the time. What this is all about is to try to get W7 to run off of a SSD as does XP presently. It kind of does on a PATA drive but that's not what I want. The problem with some the SSD's is that if they are SATA 3 and claim to be backward compatible they generally are not. To install W7 on this board is a convoluted process which requires some driver manipulation and downgrading the RAM from 3 to 2 GB during the installation procedure. It all documented in an earlier.

Blog Entries

Grand Theft Auto III

I received GTA3 today via an Ebay purchase for @ $11.00 including shipping. The game box is intact but in rough condition, however, the 'Setup' & 'Play' CD's are in excellent shape - no scuffs or dings and appear pristine. The CD holder had one broken off cleat for the top CD, but the manual and poster look like they've never been used. This game is from about 2001 and the whole series was very controversial for its time. You may want to keep this one out of the younger folks reach. The setup was flawless but the video takes some tinkering to achieve the right resolution. Audio is outstanding in my estimation. I'm not completely sure, but this game may have been close to the kick-off point for the 1st person shooters. This game like many others requires you to insert the 'Play' CD. There are a plethora of fixes for bonafide game owners on the net, and I used MegaGames for mine.

On another note, it seems that the XP game downloads over at GOG are becoming more and more scarce, and it looks like they're not converting (DRM) anymore for XP. I spent about an hour and a half the other day and couldn't find anything that I didn't already have. So, I've now shifted my attention towards Ebay and other sources for older A7 compatible games.